Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2016/09/22 06:47:37 UTC

R docs no longer building for branch-2.0

I'm working on packaging 2.0.1 rc but encountered a problem: R doc fails to
build. Can somebody take a look at the issue ASAP?

** knitting documentation of write.parquet
** knitting documentation of write.text
** knitting documentation of year
~/workspace/spark-release-docs/spark/R
~/workspace/spark-release-docs/spark/R

processing file: sparkr-vignettes.Rmd

  |                                                                 |   0%
  |
  |.                                                                |   1%
   inline R code fragments

  |.                                                                |   2%
label: unnamed-chunk-1 (with options)
List of 1
 $ message: logi FALSE

Attaching package: 'SparkR'

The following objects are masked from 'package:stats':

    cov, filter, lag, na.omit, predict, sd, var, window

The following objects are masked from 'package:base':

    as.data.frame, colnames, colnames<-, drop, intersect, rank,
    rbind, sample, subset, summary, transform, union

  |..                                                               |   3%
  ordinary text without R code

  |..                                                               |   4%
label: unnamed-chunk-2 (with options)
List of 1
 $ message: logi FALSE

Spark package found in SPARK_HOME:
/home/jenkins/workspace/spark-release-docs/spark
Error: Could not find or load main class org.apache.spark.launcher.Main
Quitting from lines 30-31 (sparkr-vignettes.Rmd)
Error in sparkR.sparkContext(master, appName, sparkHome, sparkConfigMap,  :
  JVM is not ready after 10 seconds
Calls: render ... eval -> eval -> sparkR.session -> sparkR.sparkContext

Execution halted
jekyll 2.5.3 | Error:  R doc generation failed
Deleting credential directory
/home/jenkins/workspace/spark-release-docs/spark-utils/new-release-scripts/jenkins/jenkins-credentials-IXCkuX6w
Build step 'Execute shell' marked build as failure
[WS-CLEANUP] Deleting project workspace...[WS-CLEANUP] done
Finished: FAILURE

Re: R docs no longer building for branch-2.0

Posted by Shivaram Venkataraman <sh...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
I looked into this and found the problem. Will send a PR now to fix this.

If you are curious about what is happening here: When we build the
docs separately we don't have the JAR files from the Spark build in
the same tree. We added a new set of docs recently in SparkR called an
R vignette that runs Spark and generates docs using outputs from the
run.  So this doesn't work when the JARs are not available.

Thanks
Shivaram

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.