Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Brian Putt <pu...@gmail.com> on 2022/06/15 19:56:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] Distributed tracing using OpenTelemetry

Hello Apache NiFi,

I'd like to discuss implementing NIFI-10110 which adds OpenTelemetry
integration into NiFi. Tracing will provide a way to identify
bottlenecks within various flows and propagate trace information to
downstream systems (whether they're another NiFi cluster or otherwise).

I wanted to get the community's feedback to see if this makes sense and if
it's something that you'd find valuable. If so, would anyone be interested
in discussing implementation details? We'd certainly be willing to
implement this feature, but feel it will need feedback from the community
as we add the integration.

Some key areas around implementation will involve where it makes sense to
add the OpenTelemetry wrapper because ideally, processors get tracing 'for
free' and this then leads to other questions as to sampling and how to
expose flowfile attributes into span tags that get emitted.

OpenTelemetry offers a Java library that's licensed under Apache 2.

Re: [DISCUSS] Distributed tracing using OpenTelemetry

Posted by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Monitoring in NiFi is one of my favorite topics and I do think
OpenTelemetry would be of great value. There is never too much
observability in a software like NiFi when it comes to integrating anything
with anything. I'm more than happy to be part of the discussion in terms of
requirements/implementation, etc. Getting better insights from the
provenance data of NiFi is probably where I'd start.

Pierre