Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/07 14:05:08 UTC

What the... static compile by default

Hi folks,

Sorry to be the bad cop again, but when the heck did this land into core:

https://github.com/apache/groovy/blob/5443e87882f9b88169876f6d043ed54b5ae9023b/src/main/java/org/codehaus/groovy/control/CompilerConfiguration.java#L943-L988

As much as I love static compilation, this should never have landed into
master, at least not without an agreement. I strongly believe enabling
static compilation by default using a system property is a bad thing. We
already have an official, supported mechanism for this, which is documented
[1], so adding one silently is not very nice. I reckon lots of users want
to have static compilation by default, but I don't think a system property
is the way to go.

[1]
http://docs.groovy-lang.org/latest/html/documentation/#_static_compilation_by_default

Re: What the... static compile by default

Posted by Thibault Kruse <ti...@googlemail.com>.
Git blame seems to indicate April 13th 2018, and it seems to be
related to this ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-8543

Posted by Graeme Rocher <gr...@gmail.com>.
I hope you don't get discouraged Daniel, you are doing amazing work in
the community and currently you and Paul are the main contributors /
drivers of the project.

Cerdic - whilst I am sure you mean well I gotta say I disagree with
your approach to raising issues on the mailing list. There was already
a JIRA comments thread on the issue (GROOVY-8543) debating the value
of the system property and it would likely have been removed without
all this fuss, what is the point of openly discouraging folks who are
actually making a contribution to Groovy?

My 2 cents.

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Daniel.Sun <su...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Cédric,
>
>       Feel free to remove any code.
>       To be honest, I am really tired.
>       Bye Groovy community.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel.Sun

Graeme Rocher

Re: What the... static compile by default

Posted by Sergio del Amo Caballero <se...@softamo.com>.
Daniel, please note your contribution to Groovy has not gone without
notice. Personally, I am very grateful for the work you have done.
Moreover, I am grateful for the enthusiasm towards twitter you have shown
in every email and tweet. It has been awesome and contagious.  I hope you
stay in the Groovy Community because without any doubt you make it better.

Sergio del Amo

On 7 May 2018 at 16:59, Daniel.Sun <su...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Cédric,
>
>       Feel free to remove any code.
>       To be honest, I am really tired.
>       Bye Groovy community.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel.Sun

Sergio del Amo Caballero
http://softamo.com
http://sergiodelamo.es
http://www.sergiodelamo.com
Sigueme en twitter: http://twitter.com/sdelamo
Hazte fan en facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sergiodelamocaballero
email: sergio.delamo@softamo.com
Tfno: +34 949 31 48 86 / +34 630442973

Re: What the... static compile by default

Posted by mg <mg...@arscreat.com>.
Hi Daniel,
is that a quote of someone who has left the project at some point or you yourself talking ? If it is you: I get your frustation and - don't go :-)
Technically, would a "compile static" compiler switch be a compromise, or has this alteady been ruled out (if the switch had the lowest priority, it should not collide with all the existing ways to apply @CompileStatic to Groovy code) ?
Cheers,mg
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org> Datum: 07.05.18  16:59  (GMT+01:00) An: dev@groovy.incubator.apache.org Betreff: Re: What the... static compile by default

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Cédric,

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
Yep. merging request is annoying and will cost us more time if conflicts
exist.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: What the... static compile by default

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
My pleasure :-)

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: What the... static compile by default

Posted by Jeff Scott Brown <br...@objectcomputing.com>.
On 12 May 2018, at 0:57, Daniel.Sun wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>       Thanks for your kind words. As the commit log shows, I'm back and
> trying to fix some STC issues after having a rest.

This is very good news indeed.

Thank you for your contributions!

JSB
--
Jeff Scott Brown
OCI Partner and Principal Software Engineer

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: What the... static compile by default

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
I will. Thanks :-)

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: What the... static compile by default

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Sat, 2018-05-12 at 06:08 -0700, Daniel.Sun wrote:
> Hi Russel,
>
>      Yep. Eye drops can relieve my pain. It have to take a bit long time to
> recover...

Good that the drops deal with the pain.

Relax as much as possible to make the recovery time as short as possible.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

Re: What the... static compile by default

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Fri, 2018-05-11 at 22:57 -0700, Daniel.Sun wrote:
[…]

>       P.S. Recently I'm suffering from conjunctivitis...

Daniel,

Hopefully medics have given you something to relieve the itching and pain, and
that it clears up quickly.

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
Hi Daniel,

On 12.05.2018 15:51, Daniel.Sun wrote:
> Hi mg,
>
>        I am trying to reduce the time on smart phone and computer to relax
> eyes :)

That sounds like a good idea :-)
(Have you already tried reducing the blue component on every display ? I
do that with every monitor - at first the image looks yellow
tinted/dark, but our brain adjusts to this quite quickly and yellow
becomes white (unless the brain has something to compare it too ;-) )

> As for Groovy, I plan to support raw string[1] introduced by Java11
> since no similar thing in Groovy.

Definitely a good feature for Groovy to have, imho :-)

> Some days ago I discussed it with
> Guillaume, and I will start a VOTE thread to collect three +1 from PMC
> members before working on the new feature. In addition, I am going to fix
> STC issues and improve type infer,

That sounds great.
Don't know where we are discussion-wise on this topic, but maybe it
would make sense that I work on var/final actually having the assigned
RHS type in parallel to you (as time allows)... - thoughts (apart from
"flow typing gives you the same thing", for which I believe I have
already given examples showing that it is not ;-) ) ?

> some of which are really hard to fix...
> no wonder they have not been fixed for a long time. Apart from STC, I am
> going to implement native method/constructor reference for better
> performance(as you know, current method/constructor reference is based on
> method closure).

Don't know what Paul/Jochen think about this, but I would like to have
that :-)

> Many things on my TODO list... After all of the thing are completed, I want
> to add a new DSL(something similar to LINQ in C#) to Groovy, it can be a
> subproject of Groovy or just my personal project...

My vote for Subproject of Groovy - it would definitely make Groovy even
more attractive (I admit I am happy with functional type method
chaining, I mostly used Linq under C# for group-by operations, but I
know many people love it), and it has a bigger chance of drawing in
other interested developers :-)
I am not sure, but from my experience, maybe we could do things a
differently from the way C# does them, and (optionally?) keep more of
the Linq representation, instead of completely turning it into an AST
representation ? I remember that it was a hard problem (see re-linq
project) to turn that AST representation back into e.g. SQL - which
seemed silly, since Linq is modelled after SQL, and is therefore very
similar syntax-wise...

Cheers,
mg

Re: What the... static compile by default

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
Hi mg,

      I am trying to reduce the time on smart phone and computer to relax
eyes :)

      As for Groovy, I plan to support raw string[1] introduced by Java11
since no similar thing in Groovy. Some days ago I discussed it with
Guillaume, and I will start a VOTE thread to collect three +1 from PMC
members before working on the new feature. In addition, I am going to fix
STC issues and improve type infer, some of which are really hard to fix...

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/326

Re: What the... static compile by default