Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2009/11/17 16:20:51 UTC

Feature freeze

I am thinking that we should impose a feature freeze once the
remaining tickets for 1.4 have been resolved. Here is what is
currently outstanding:

PIVOT-205	Pivot collections test suite

I think we can safely push this back to 1.41.

PIVOT-235	Complete tutorial

This one is nearly complete. There are only 2 or 3 remaining sections,
and I think we should push to wrap this up for 1.4. This was one of
our primary focuses for 1.4, and it will be even more important to
have solid documentation should we graduate to a TLP. So we should
make sure we finish this one.

PIVOT-23	Ensure that popups are constrained to display bounds

I think this can safely be deferred to 1.4.1.

PIVOT-43	Add support for digest authentication to web queries

I suggest that we move this to 1.4.1 as well.

That would leave the tutorial docs as the only outstanding item.

Any objections?

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd,

> sorry for the confusion.
no problem.

Byeeee

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
> So I can fix them (but tomorrow), but please tell me if (or what) wanted.
> Or I can wait after the code freeze, no problem.

No, let's wait until 1.4.1 to address those, since none of them look too
serious.  I was actually responding to Noel with my previous email, since it
sounded like he has already coded the variable row height feature in
TableView - sorry for the confusion.

-T

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd,
no I haven't started fixing all those simple things or warnings ...
also because I don't want to waste my (little) time to make fixes that
after has to be reverted ... like yesterday (and other times in the
past).

So I can fix them (but tomorrow), but please tell me if (or what) wanted.
Or I can wait after the code freeze, no problem.

Thanks,
Sandro

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
If you've already done the work, then I'd say by all means, go ahead and
submit (just as I had already started the work of Image.getBaseline()).
We'll have plenty of time to make sure it's stable.  Let's all just turn our
collective effort towards stabilizing the code base after we're done
committing our work-in-progress.

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Yes, we want to only include functional and tested code in the 1.4
release. So, if this feature is not done, we would temporarily remove
the associated files (you could easily add them again in a later
release). That is actually what I suggest we do, since (IMO) any time
we have available now would be better spent testing and validating the
many other features that are already complete.

Re: Feature freeze

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,
> Since the code needs some significant rework, I'd prefer to remove it for now. We can make sure we spend the time to get it right for Pivot 1.4.x.
Uh, I hope not so much rework :-) , but Ok, I've already a local copy
to work, and re-commit after the 1.4 final release.
Remember that you have to drop also the related unit test (and
probably also the package html file).

For the next commits, you are speaking also of small bug fixing like
my warnings from Findbugs of yesterday, right ?

Bye

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Exactly. I fully expect to see additional commits before we release.
They should be primarily bug fixes, but minor updates such as this are
OK too. We just want to avoid any major changes from here on in.

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Christopher Brind <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
Sounds fine to me

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Christopher Brind <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd,

Re: Feature freeze

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
I'm adding some functionality to baseline alignment (to support images being
able to specify a manual baseline alignment -- for the use case when they
have embedded text).  Once that's in, I'll be all set, and this sounds good.