Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by christian bindeballe <ot...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/23 21:18:19 UTC

profile based website / portal

hello everyone,

has somebody experience with a cocoon portal that serves different pages
according to the profile (role / username) of a user?

if so, is it sufficient to have

a) the global profile in copletdata and copletinstancedata and
b) identical profile-files for each role/username which also have
additional coplets which are only for the actual user/role

or do you have to have

a) a global profile and
b) in each other role/user-profile _only_ those coplets wich are to be
served _only_ to those users?

also for a set-up like this, do you have to have all coplets configured
with an authentication-handler?

i find the documentation concerning this very ambiguous.
any ideas or suggestions are highly appreciated.

best regards,

christian

Re: profile based website / portal

Posted by christian bindeballe <ot...@gmail.com>.
2006/1/24, Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>:
> What Cocoon version?

I'm using version 2.1.8

Re: profile based website / portal

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
What Cocoon version?

Posted by christian bindeballe <ot...@gmail.com>.
Ralph Goers schrieb:
> These files are somewhat independent from each other.

[...]
> Ralph

Thanks Ralph!

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
These files are somewhat independent from each other.

copletdata is global and defines all the portlets available to be used.

copletinstancedata defines all the portlet instances (You define multiple
instances of portlets defines in copletdata if you wish).  This can be a
default or particular to a role or user. The portlets referenced must be
defined in the copletdata.

layout defines the pages and where the portlet instances appear on them.
The layout can be a default or particular to a user or role.  portlet
instances referenced in the layout must exist in the copletinstancedata.

If you have one copletinstancedata then, in theory, any user can access
any of the instances. However, that is actually hard to do unless the
user's layout refers to the instance.

In the end, how you manage these is really up to how you want your site to
behave.

Ralph