Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by ATE1 <bi...@infosys.com> on 2009/03/23 05:48:54 UTC

creating PPT using Java

I need to generate powerpoint presentation. The presentation has different
kinds of graphs (bar graphs, line graphs) which should be editable once the
ppt is delivered.(So can not use images).

I tried using apache poi for the same, but it doesnot support editable
charts and graphs.Kindly help me

Re: creating PPT using Java

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
> by editable what I mean is that the graph can be changed by changing the
> supporting values.
> (For e.g. Suppose, revenues were 900 KUSD and the client wants to show it as
> 1 MUSD, he should be able to do that).
>
> Please suggest me a solution for this..

Such a solution would imply using a ActiveX component and that's not supported by HSLF. Alas, the "dynamic" approach is
not possible.

Consider the following workarounds:

  - use Excel instead of PPT. Create a template file with a chart, modify the data and the chart should be updated.
  - re-generate ppt on the server, not on client. That is, if the client wants to show it as 1 MUSD, he should send a
request and get the updated file.

Yegor

Re: creating PPT using Java

Posted by ATE1 <bi...@infosys.com>.

Re: creating PPT using Java

Posted by ATE1 <bi...@infosys.com>.
The approach you have proposed seems workable, but what client requires is a
Powerpoint presentation which will be directly mailed to his location. So,
there wouldn't be any communication with the server once the ppt is
generated. help me in this..

Re: creating PPT using Java

Posted by ATE1 <bi...@infosys.com>.

Re: creating PPT using Java