Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2004/10/29 09:34:57 UTC

[Discussion/draft] XML Graphics setup

The approval of the project comes at a bad time for me personally, as
I'm very busy ATM. Nonetheless, we need to get the project set up very
quickly. Below I've started to fill out the project request form from
http://www.apache.org/dev/project-creation-form.txt. There are a few
holes to fill.

rename them unless there's a possibility to create aliases.

(ii) remote moderators ...
  Note: At least two, preferably world-wide coverage.

  jeremias@apache.org
  <please include yourself here>

>>>JeremiasMaerki: Additional volunteers please!

(iii) archives
  mbox
  I.     http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/mail/general/YYYYMM.gz
       (mbox archives for general@ only!)

(iv) options

  I.   Reply-To: Header       [X] yes   [ ] no
    NOTE: $PROJECT-cvs@$TLP.apache.org -> $PROJECT-dev@$TLP.apache.org
  II.  Prefix in Subject      [ ] yes   [X] no
  III. Eyebrowse              [X] yes   [ ] no
       (Eyebrowse for general@ only!)

  IV.  Moderation Message     [X] short [ ] long
  V.   Message Trailer        [X] yes   [ ] no
   (a).   general@xmlgraphics.apache.org

=====================(CUT HERE)======================================

#=======================================
[2] Source Tracker

>>>JeremiasMaerki: We don't need any new VC modules at this point. We
can leave the existing ones as is for the moment.

             Chris Bowditch         (cbowditch@apache.org)
             Thomas DeWeese         (deweese@apache.org)
             Christian Geisert      (chrisg@apache.org)
             Clay Leeds             (clay@apache.org)
             Keiron Liddle          (keiron@apache.org)
             Jeremias Maerki        (jeremias@apache.org) [PMC chair]
             Glen Mazza             (gmazza@apache.org)
             Simon Pepping          (spepping@apache.org)
             Joerg Pietschmann      (pietsch@apache.org)

#=======================================
[4] Snapshots

>>>JeremiasMaerki: n/a ATM

#=======================================

[5] apsite karma

>>>JeremiasMaerki: To administrate the new Wiki (to be created) we need
someone in the apsite group. Can I request for one of our volunteers
(Christian and/or Clay) to be included in the "apsite" group? I would do
it myself but my Unix skills are not the best.

Re: [Discussion/draft] XML Graphics setup

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
That's great news. Thanks, Berin!

On 29.10.2004 10:53:40 Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > leave the current dev and user mailing lists as is. We don't need to
> > rename them unless there's a possibility to create aliases.
> </snip>
>
> Note that we *can* create an alias, and whats more we generally do so
> for this kind of move.  So don't hesitate to create new names.  We could
> easily move the list names to be fop-dev@xmlgraphics and
> batik-dev@xmlgraphics with aliases that ensure the old @xml. addresses
> work properly.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [Discussion/draft] XML Graphics setup

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

<snip>

> leave the current dev and user mailing lists as is. We don't need to
> rename them unless there's a possibility to create aliases.
</snip>

Note that we *can* create an alias, and whats more we generally do so
for this kind of move.  So don't hesitate to create new names.  We could
easily move the list names to be fop-dev@xmlgraphics and
batik-dev@xmlgraphics with aliases that ensure the old @xml. addresses
work properly.

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: [Discussion/draft] XML Graphics setup

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:

Yes it is a good idea to get this all sorted
out as much as possible before sending the request
to infrastructure.

Not only that, but also to keep your website publishing
happening properly, you will need some people in the
apsite group.

Also, make sure that you maintain commit access to
the Apache XML Commons project. When projects move
to SVN, those rights tend to drop off and need to be
explicitly added.

--
David Crossley

Re: [Discussion/draft] XML Graphics setup

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
That's fine.

=====================(END)===========================================

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.

=====================(END)===========================================

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 29.10.2004 16:15:22 Clay Leeds wrote:
<snip/>

> Being the... erm... perfectionist that I am... I'm thinking
>
> =====================(CUT HERE)======================================
>
> (removed commas, 'evened' it out r-l and now 68 chars instead of 70 ;-)

Ah, here's my favourite nitpicker in action again. :-) Sorry for my
sloppyness.

<snip/>

> Can I assume that all PMC members make up the "Initial Committer List"?

At least! Actually, if we really have a general VC module then we would
probably add all active committers from FOP and Batik, rather than just
the PMC.

<snip/>

> >> Sure.
>
> Clay says "Sure!" too.

Great.

<snip/>

> > You're right again. It's just good I didn't simply shoot from the hip
> > with all that.
>
> OK Wyatt Earp... But we may also need other(s):
>
> -bash-2.05b$ groups
> clay apcvs xml
>
> This is just my current /groups/ (I don't know what jeremias' /groups/
> displays, but we should probably mirror xmlgraphics groups similarly:

I got "jeremias apcvs xml jakarta" at the moment.

> I'm thinking:
>
> <you> apsvn apsite xmlgraphics

Yes, all Batik and FOP committers would be members of the xmlgraphics
group.

> There could be others...

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [Discussion/draft] XML Graphics setup

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Oct 29, 2004, at 1:20 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 29.10.2004 10:14:22 Christian Geisert wrote:
>> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>> The approval of the project comes at a bad time for me personally, as
>>> I'm very busy ATM. Nonetheless, we need to get the project set up
>>> very
>>> quickly. Below I've started to fill out the project request form from
>>
>> Coincidently I started writing a mail about the same subject
>> yesterday ;-)

You're not the only one... ;-)

> Good to know not everything entirely depends on me. :-)

Thanks for getting this going, Jeremias!

         clay@apache.org
>>>   <please include yourself here>

>> I'm happy to moderate another mailing list.
>
> Thanks!

Count me in (I'm happy to moderate another mailing list).

>>> (iii) archives
>>>   mbox
>>>   I.     http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/mail/general/YYYYMM.gz
>>>        (mbox archives for general@ only!)
>>
>> Why no archive for pmc list (this should be private too)
>
> I don't know if this is possible. We're going to ask.
>
>>> (iv) options
>>>
>>>   I.   Reply-To: Header       [X] yes   [ ] no
>>>     NOTE: $PROJECT-cvs@$TLP.apache.org ->
>>> $PROJECT-dev@$TLP.apache.org
>>>   II.  Prefix in Subject      [ ] yes   [X] no
>>>   III. Eyebrowse              [X] yes   [ ] no
>>>        (Eyebrowse for general@ only!)
>>>
>>>   IV.  Moderation Message     [X] short [ ] long
>>>   V.   Message Trailer        [X] yes   [ ] no
>>>    (a).   general@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>>>
>>> =====================(CUT HERE)======================================

Being the... erm... perfectionist that I am... I'm thinking

=====================(CUT HERE)======================================

(removed commas, 'evened' it out r-l and now 68 chars instead of 70 ;-)

>>> #=======================================
>>> [2] Source Tracker

>>> can leave the existing ones as is for the moment.
>>
>> IMHO we should have a repository for the new website (which should
>> contain just the general stuff and link to the existing fop/batik
>> pages)
>> I'd go for SVN (xmlgraphics/site) but we should vote about that.
>
> Good catch again. Strong +1 for SVN from me.

+1 (FWIW, Mac OS X, Finder-integrated svn available: SCPlugin :-D)

>>> #=======================================
>>> [3] Initial Committer list

Can I assume that all PMC members make up the "Initial Committer List"?

>>> [3a] Initial PMC list
>>>
>>> The following people should be on the PMC mailing list:
>>>
>>>              Chris Bowditch         (cbowditch@apache.org)
>>>              Thomas DeWeese         (deweese@apache.org)
>>>              Christian Geisert      (chrisg@apache.org)
>>>              Clay Leeds             (clay@apache.org)
>>>              Keiron Liddle          (keiron@apache.org)
>>>              Jeremias Maerki        (jeremias@apache.org) [PMC chair]
>>>              Glen Mazza             (gmazza@apache.org)
>>>              Simon Pepping          (spepping@apache.org)
>>>              Joerg Pietschmann      (pietsch@apache.org)
>>>
>>> #=======================================
>>> [4] Snapshots

>>> #=======================================
>>>
>>> [5] apsite karma

>>> someone in the apsite group. Can I request for one of our volunteers
>>> (Christian and/or Clay) to be included in the "apsite" group? I
>>> would do
>>
>> Sure.

Clay says "Sure!" too.

> Again, thanks!
>
>> We also need a xmlgraphics unix group with all (active?) committers.
>
> You're right again. It's just good I didn't simply shoot from the hip
> with all that.

OK Wyatt Earp... But we may also need other(s):

-bash-2.05b$ groups
clay apcvs xml

This is just my current /groups/ (I don't know what jeremias' /groups/
displays, but we should probably mirror xmlgraphics groups similarly:
I'm thinking:

<you> apsvn apsite xmlgraphics

There could be others...

> Jeremias Maerki

Thanks again!

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: [Discussion/draft] XML Graphics setup

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 29.10.2004 10:14:22 Christian Geisert wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > The approval of the project comes at a bad time for me personally, as
> > I'm very busy ATM. Nonetheless, we need to get the project set up very
> > quickly. Below I've started to fill out the project request form from
>
> Coincidently I started writing a mail about the same subject yesterday ;-)

Good to know not everything entirely depends on me. :-)

> > http://www.apache.org/dev/project-creation-form.txt. There are a few
> > holes to fill.

      III. general-commits@xmlgraphics.apache.org

> I think we should also have a general-commits@ list for the new website