Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Eitan Suez <ei...@uptodata.com> on 2003/05/04 21:46:15 UTC

tiles followup..

a few days ago someone posted a question about tiles.
i'm really trying to test my understanding of tiles in terms
of tapestry:

   is tiles basically the same as tapestry's <RenderBody> component?

i believe it allows you to refactor the layout of a page instead of
duplicating
it across many pages.

in tapestry one can easily do the same thing by
creating a component with a template for the html "frame" (that is,
header,
footer, sidebar, etc..) that uses a renderbody component to specify
where
the page's content should go.  indeed many of the examples that
come with tapestry include such a component (border).

if this is the case, this does speak loudly about how powerful tapestry
really
is (that a single component in the tapestry framework is all that's
needed
to provide the same feature as a major add-on to some other well-known
framework).

i'll take the opportunity to overload this message with a related
question
to verify my understanding of blocks and renderblock.  is it essentially
the same as renderbody but with multiple pieces (fragments) where
not all the content of a page goes in the same place?

thanks,
  / eitan

Re: tiles followup..

Posted by Christian Sell <ch...@netcologne.de>.
having evaluated both struts/tiles and tapestry rather thoroughly by
now, I'll throw in my 2cts as well..

IMO, the main difference between tiles and tapestry is that tiles,
trying to do components the struts way, still does not have a true
component model, as it separates the presentation from the behavior.
Behavior is still implemented as actions, which are registered in some
global XML registry. Structurally, these actions are something like
global functions (remember, in those pre-OO days).
Consequently, you cannot develop a component which is completely
self-contained - you always have to manipulate the registry to make it work.

Tapestry, OTOH, has true components where the presentation and the code
that handles it are directly (and transparently) bound together. Very
nice. You can even bundle and distribute components in libraries. And I
havent even talked about javascript support yet - which is absent in tiles.

Re: tiles followup..

Re: tiles followup..

Posted by Eitan Suez <ei...@uptodata.com>.
Hi Eric,
   thanks for the thorough response.  this pretty much
   clears up any uncertainty about tiles and what problems
   it was designed to solve.
thanks, eitan

Re: tiles followup..

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
Eitan,

There really isn't such a cut and dry comparison of tiles to a specific
component in tapestry.  The main reason I used tiles in JSP projects was
because struts didn't provide a 'page wrapping' mechanism.  Yeah, you could
separate your header, footer, and navi into different files, but it seemed
like there was no easy way to avoid repeating the page structure over and
over again.  Tiles helped in that regard, but with a price.  Each tile on a

Re: tiles followup..

Posted by Eitan Suez <ei...@uptodata.com>.
> Expert developers I've talked to who have used Tiles in a project have
> told
> me they wouldn't use it again

thanks for sharing this tidbit.  it's valuable to get some insight
into what people's experiences are with various technologies.

/ eitan

thanks,
  / eitan

RE: tiles followup..