Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Zhe Zhang <zh...@apache.org> on 2015/11/06 01:40:58 UTC

Potential Gerrit support in review/commit flow

Hi Lucene contributors,

The Hadoop community is considering adding Gerrit as a review / commit
tool. Since this will require support from the Apache Infra team, it makes
more sense if multiple projects can benefit from the effort.

The main benefit of Gerrit over ReviewBoard is better integration with git
and Jenkins. A Gerrit review request is created through a simple "git push"
instead of manually creating and uploading a diff file. Conflicts detection
and rebase can be done on the review UI as well. When the programmed commit
criteria are met (e.g. a code review +1 and a Jenkins verification),
committing can also be done with a single button click, or even
automatically.

The main benefit of Gerrit over Github pull request (besides Jenkins
support) is the rebase workflow (rather than git merge), which avoids merge
commits.

This also just augments instead of replacing the current review / commit
flow. Every task will still start as a JIRA. Review comments can be made on
both JIRA and Gerrit and will be bi-directionally mirrored. Patches can
also be directly committed through git command line (Gerrit will recognize
a direct commit and close the review request as long as a simple git hook
is installed:
https://gerrit.googlecode.com/svn/documentation/2.0/user-changeid.html).

I wonder if the Lucene community would be interested in moving on this
direction as well. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Zhe Zhang

Re: Potential Gerrit support in review/commit flow

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.
Zhe,

The canonical repository for Lucene is SVN, not Git. I'm not sure that
Gerrit would be of much use to us, unless I am misunderstanding the
integration points.

Mike