Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/12 14:16:15 UTC

Why is dependency:unpack evil

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:
> after thinking more at it, it seems the "scope" for such artifacts is the
> plugin parameter name

I'm forking off a new thread here.

A maven repository is a lovely place to keep all sorts of data used in
builds: test data, templates of one sort of another. Data pushed to a
repo is accessible from Maven, ant, and plain old command lines via
just plain wget.

However, for large objects, the Maven local repo can avoid a whole lot
of time spent shoving bytes around the network. So, using 'wget' or
some sort of wagon plugin is not as nice as dependency:copy or
:unpack.

If I'm following this thread, some people dislike this because it is
our of the usual maven pattern of declaring rather than instructing: I
should declare that I need a:b:1.0:zip.

However, I'm failing to see the great advantage of being required to
specify _both_ a dependency and then a slug of XML configuration to a
plugin to specify the details of how something gets unpacked.

I think that Hervé is trying to help me by suggesting that I shouldn't
need the dependency: that just calling out the coordinates to
something like :unpack should result in resolution via injection.

Then what changes?

Re: Why is dependency:unpack evil

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.
FWIW, we've used that in the past to store and version our PMD & checkstyle
rules configs for the organization for example. IMO, indeed more maven-ish
in the sense that you only describe the resource you need (/what/), but not
the /how/ (which scripting-like things like dependency:unpack tends to do).

HTH

> Thanks Babtiste,
> I never used the m-remote-resource-p so far, but after reading through the
> docu it seem to fit into my needs.
> …maybe the name is a bit misleading - I think m-shared-resources-p would
> disci be it a lot better.
> I’ll take a closer look at it and if it fits, I have to start a lengthy
> discussion in our organization :)
> Domi
>
> On 14.04.2014, at 14:20, Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, coming in a bit late here, but isn't is more a use-case for
> > m-remote-resources-p?
> >
> > Cheers

> >> We use the dependency:unpack to get hold on a couple of WSDL files
> >> packaged within a WAR (or jar, zip).
> >> These WSDLs the are the input to generate the client site code with
> >> jaxws-m-p - coping these files into our repo is definitely nothing we
> want
> >> to do and accessing these files nine via http is not an option either.
> >> Domi

> >> system. This is not a build time activity, it seems like part of an ETL
> >> flow of a data acquisition application.

> Maven.
> >> Just because you might be able to doesn't mean you should. You can, but
> >> your specific use case doesn't seem appropriate for a build system.

> shouldn't

> >> is to act in accordance with your thinking.

> > --
> > Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS - http://batmat.net
> > Sauvez un arbre,
> > Mangez un castor !

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: Why is dependency:unpack evil

Posted by Dominik Bartholdi <do...@fortysix.ch>.
Thanks Babtiste,

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.

Posted by Dominik Bartholdi <do...@fortysix.ch>.
If never sad anything about REST…
Don’t hang me just because I sad we used the WAR, thats just a shortage of one specific use case - in general we use ZIP or JAR for this and the archive contains nothing else then the WSDLs. In fact these WSDLs do not describe any JavaServices, but COBAL services, even more, the provider code in COBOL does get generated from these WSDLs too. So consumer and provider (Stub) get generated by these WSDLs. …and these clients are by far not all Java based...
So yes I’ don’t think its odd to have these service interfaces well defined and provided as WSDLs packed up in an archive in a maven repo.
Domi

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Dominik Bartholdi <do...@fortysix.ch>.

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
I'm not sure but seems like it could work.  They both pull artifacts from
repo but unpack processes only the named ones and unpack-dependencies does
the listed deps.  Would need to use one of the </include*> elements to
limit it to the war artifact only.  However, the war module is not
currently a dep.

Some more notes on the AT module setup:
- It only has the tests and the test infrastructure.

- Its build starts a few things, including embedded Tomcat.  The tests run
against the Tomcat instance (which is running the war).

- Its deps are only those required for the tests - other modules and 3rd
party.  The WAR module is not in the list of deps.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Agreed, we put the WSDL and related schemas in a domain module and its
> build generates these domain classes in its build.  Then other modules use
> the domain jar...
>
> The only place we currently use dependency:unpack is in an AT (acceptance
> test) module that retrieves the war and unpacks it to an exploded war dir
> for then starting embedded Tomcat for the tests.

Could you replace that usage with dependency:unpack-dependencies (assuming
you had a <scope>processing</scope> that kept it off the classpath... Not
that WARs go on the classpath - Except for executable ones like Jenkins -
but more to be explicit)?

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
>
> > Sure, if you have odd cases like that it comes in handy.
> >
> > Seems counter productive to put the WSDL in a WAR, deploy/install it only
> > to retrieve the WAR again and pull out the WSDL to generate your client
> > code.
> >
> > On Apr 13, 2014, at 9:43 AM, Dominik Bartholdi <do...@fortysix.ch> wrote:
> >
> > > We use the dependency:unpack to get hold on a couple of WSDL files
> > packaged within a WAR (or jar, zip).
> > > These WSDLs the are the input to generate the client site code with
> > jaxws-m-p - coping these files into our repo is definitely nothing we
> want
> > to do and accessing these files nine via http is not an option either.
> > > Domi

> > system. This is not a build time activity, it seems like part of an ETL
> > flow of a data acquisition application.

> > Maven. Just because you might be able to doesn't mean you should. You
> can,
> > but your specific use case doesn't seem appropriate for a build system.

> > shouldn't

> > is to act in accordance with your thinking.

Sent from my phone

Re: Why is dependency:unpack evil

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
The app loads all resources from the classpath.

IIRC, Tomcat requires the exploded WAR.  I think the Tomcat plugin also
requires file system files for config, e.g. </warSourceDirectory>,
</warDirectory>, and </contextFile>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Dominik Bartholdi <do...@fortysix.ch>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2014, at 8:16 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:
>>> after thinking more at it, it seems the "scope" for such artifacts is the
>>> plugin parameter name
>>>

>> I'm forking off a new thread here.
>>
>> A maven repository is a lovely place to keep all sorts of data used in
>> builds: test data, templates of one sort of another. Data pushed to a
>> repo is accessible from Maven, ant, and plain old command lines via
>> just plain wget.
>>
>> However, for large objects, the Maven local repo can avoid a whole lot
>> of time spent shoving bytes around the network. So, using 'wget' or
>> some sort of wagon plugin is not as nice as dependency:copy or
>> :unpack.
>>
>> If I'm following this thread, some people dislike this because it is
>> our of the usual maven pattern of declaring rather than instructing: I
>> should declare that I need a:b:1.0:zip.
>>
>> However, I'm failing to see the great advantage of being required to
>> specify _both_ a dependency and then a slug of XML configuration to a
>> plugin to specify the details of how something gets unpacked.
>>

> This can also be declarative.
>
> If you're talking about build time the AAR example in Android is an example of the requirement to download something, move some bits around, and add it to the classpath. Same as a normal dependency except there are some bit swizzling instructions. In the pure build I believe any requirement to use the dependency plugin can be removed. This would be implemented as a smarter artifact handler that knows how to deal with AARs. Can still be purely declarative so we can analyze, reason about and execute.
>
> If you're talking about making a distribution where you're putting together a bunch of files the dependency plugin is very handy.

I'm much more here. For example, I might have 250,000 words of text
annotated for training a statistical model. I have a maven build that
needs to grab unpack that pile into some location, run a plugin that
performs some data normalization, and then feed the location into a
maven plugin of mine that trains the model. I guess I could model this

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.