Posted to user@struts.apache.org by mike m <st...@wryse.com> on 2002/02/17 04:22:04 UTC

datasources management

What is the benefit of configuring datasources in the struts-config.xml
file?

My meaning is, I am revising an existing webapp to use struts.  Obviously, I
replaced my home-grown controller because struts has so many more features.

But, I'm not sure I gain by replacing my home-grown "datasource manager".  I
am using WebSphere, so presumably I don't need pool man.  Data sources are
defined in a property file (not xml, but good enough) and are cached.

Am I over-looking something?  Will I miss out on some features if I keep
datasource management separate from struts classes?  Isn't limiting access
to datasources to the ActionServlet rather limiting?

Mike

Re: datasources management

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
It's really more of a convenience for people just getting started.
Personally, I'd say stick with what works. Passing the connection up
from the Action can be problematic in a strict MVC design. When you can,
it's better to let the business tier handle all that, and just pass a
collection of beans, or a rowset, back to the Action.

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com
-- For priority Struts support,
-> visit http://husted.com/about/services