Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Mark Hale <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/18 20:50:22 UTC

open relay

All,

I am working on my mail sever to make sure it isn't an open-relay.
The reason it is tricky for me is that I have a VirtualUsersTable that
has target_addresses outside of our network that I would like
forwarded.

Several of the relay checkers report it is not an open relay.

Some are reporting errors with local mailboxes.  For instance the site
http://www.rbl.jp/svcheck.php (Third Party Relay Check) gives me this
error: (I replaced my real domain with mydomain.com):

>>> RSET
<<< 250 2.0.0 OK
<<< 250 2.1.0 Sender <rl...@mydomain.com> OK
>>> RCPT TO: <h....@mydomain.com>
<<< 250 2.1.5 Recipient <h....@mydomain.com> OK
relay accepted!!

It looks to me like that is a failed local user and not a relay.  I
wanted to me on the safe side and double check.  Is that correct?

Does anyone have good suggestions for open relay sites they use to
check their servers?

Thanks for the help,

Mark

Re: open relay

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,

JAMES will accept emails to invalid users in a domain hosted by the server,
but send a bounce back to the sender and drop the email to the deadletter
repos.So no need to worry

Cheers,
Norman