Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Vivek Ratnavel <vi...@apache.org> on 2018/01/09 19:04:31 UTC

[VOTE] Move ASF Github Bot comments to Worklog in JIRA

Hi Team,

The Apache Ambari repository was moved to gitbox yesterday for deeper
integration with github and folks have started using github for review and
merge of patches. If you are unsure of any step, please read the updated How
to Contribute
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/How+to+Contribute>
guide.

With JIRA linking enabled on Github pull requests, the ASF Github Bot
automatically posts several messages as comments in the related JIRA. Check
this JIRA for example - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-22739.
While it is nice to have these comments, we don't want to pollute the
comments section of JIRA. When I contacted Apache Infra team on this issue,
they suggested that there is an option to push these messages to "Worklog"
section of JIRA which made sense to me.

I am starting this thread to get your vote on moving ASF Github Bot
comments to "Worklog" section in JIRA.

Thanks,
Vivek Ratnavel​

RE: [VOTE] Move ASF Github Bot comments to Worklog in JIRA

Posted by Dmytro Grinenko <dg...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

"although it seems to me like a workaround, the best thing probably would be to add the patch as an attachment"

Is there any need on that?   Afaik any pull request stay in git while repo is hosted on git, and any patch/diff from pull request could be downloaded using pull id.

For example AMBARI-22739:

Curl https://api.github.com/repos/apache/ambari/pulls/72  will show:

  "diff_url": "https://github.com/apache/ambari/pull/72.diff",
  "patch_url": "https://github.com/apache/ambari/pull/72.patch"

I.e. diff or patch could be always be downloaded using url pattern above. As a solution, we could create links for them in jira, instead of attaching them

Posted by Balazs Bence Sari <bs...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by "Doroszlai, Attila" <ad...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jonathan Hurley <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 - we definitely don't want these in the comments section!

Posted by Nate Cole <nc...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Sandor Molnar <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
+1