Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by kpalania <kp...@yahoo.com> on 2008/07/23 16:16:16 UTC

Multiple brokers in duplex mode: Expected Behavior?

This is my setup:
* I have 3 brokers configured and running: 1 broker in the cloud and 2
brokers in the LAN.
* There is no network connector defined in broker 1. The transport connector
is set to use TCP on 61616.
* The network connectors on both the brokers in the LAN have "duplex" set to
TRUE and the URI points to broker 1 (tcp://IPAddress:61616).
* I start all the brokers.
* Send a message to broker 1 in the cloud over TCP from a local client
(running on the same machine).
* The message does not get sent to either of the other 2 brokers and I see
the following exception in the log of one of the brokers in the LAN:

"Network connection between vm://localhost#<something> and
tcp://IPAddress:61616 shutdown due to a remote error: java.IO.EOFException"

* Now, I shutdown the broker in the LAN that reports this exception.
* Send another message over TCP to the broker in the cloud (same as before).
* The message is sent to the only broker that is now running in the LAN.

Questions:
===========

1. Why is this the case? And what is wrong with my configuration?
Essentially, I do not want to see any exceptions and want one of the brokers
to pick up the message in the earlier case. Is that not possible?

2. Also, I noticed that at times I see duplication of messages (and it is
quite frequent). When I go to the ActiveMQ admin UI and click refresh on the
queue, I see the same message repeated several times (though the client just
sent it once).

Thanks.

Re: Multiple brokers in duplex mode: Expected Behavior?

Posted by kpalania <kp...@yahoo.com>.
If I remove the "duplex" attribute from both the brokers in the LAN, I get an
InvalidClientIDException on one of the brokers..