Posted to announcements@jakarta.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> on 2008/07/18 17:46:07 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache POI 3.5.1 Beta 1 Released

The POI team is pleased to announce the availability of Apache POI 3.5.1
beta 1, our first release including OOXML (Office Open XML) support.

Apache POI is well-known in the Java field as a library for reading and
writing OLE2 office file formats, such as Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and
Word. With POI 3.5, it also support the new OOXML formats introduced in
Office 2007. See http://poi.apache.org/ for more details

Release Highlights:

   POI-SS - Java API To Access Microsoft Excel Format Files
   * This common interface allows access to HSSF (binary file format,
      .xls) and XSSF (ooxml file format, .xlsx) in the same way
   * Very similar to HSSF usermodel, allowing easy translation of old
      code support to the new format
   * All of HSSF should support this interface
   * Partial implementation of XSSF for this interface

   POI-XSSF - Java API To Access Microsoft Excel 2007 OOXML Format Files
   * partial implementation of high level interface
   * text extraction supported
   * low level, low memory parsing supported

   POI-XSLF - Java API To Access Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 OOXML Format Files
   * text extraction supported

   POI-XWPF - Java API To Access Microsoft Word 2007 OOXML File Formats
   * text extraction supported

In addition, all fixes from POI 3.1 FINAL, and from just after, are
included. For full changelog details, and documentation, please see /docs/
in the distribution. The documentation on the website reflects the state
of work on POI 3.1.1.

The source and binaries can be downloaded from your local mirror:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/poi/dev/

The release is also available from the central Maven repository under
Group ID "org.apache.poi" and Version "3.5.1-beta1". Note that the ooxml
support is not available via Maven, as the dependencies are not packaged.

For the Apache POI Team
Nick Burch

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache POI 3.5.1 Beta 1 Released

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@apache.org>.
Bhushan, I already answered your question earlier. Please do not cross-post it to the @announce lists.

POI 3.5 introduced support for OOXML. The functionality of HSSF is almost the same as in 3.1
If you are willing to help with implementing charts, I can explain where to start.

Yegor

Posted by Bhushan Jain <bh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
It was said that the next release after 3.1 would contain support for making
charts in Excel(Spreadsheet).
But nothing is mentioned about this in this release.
When will the support for for creating graphs/charts be included?

Thanks,
-----------
Bhushan

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache POI 3.5.1 Beta 1 Released

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Nick Burch wrote:
> The POI team is pleased to announce the availability of Apache POI 3.5.1
> beta 1, our first release including OOXML (Office Open XML) support.

Just to let everyone here know that I'm aiming to do beta releases around
once a month, until we're ready for final (hopefully late summer,
depending on resources to work on xssf)

Expect the next beta vote mid august, unless we spot any major bugs in
beta 1, in which case sooner

Nick