Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by kris16 <kr...@tietoenator.com> on 2007/02/09 16:36:59 UTC

Problem with Scandinavian characters åäö

Hi,
I am using java 5 and xmlbeans 2.2.0.

I am trying to read an xml document from file an it works fine.
The xml file is using UTF-8.
But when I set a value for an element to contain the Scandinavian character
"ä" as in Pärsson, then
I get the following exception
<ComponentID schemeName="SourceSystem">Pärsson</ComponentID>:
java.io.CharConversionException: Malformed UTF-8 character: 0xf6 0x6e 0x73
0x73

If I change the the encoding to ISO-8859-1 then it works but I get the
following result
when I print it out:
<ComponentID schemeName="SourceSystem">Põrsson</ComponentID>

What am I doing wrong here ?
Why is not UTF-8 working at all ?

Why do I get the result Põrsson instead of Pärsson ?

/Regards Krister

decoding errors

Posted by "Samuel B. Quiring" <sb...@cayuse.com>.
Greetings,

I am trying to map some of the validating parse error messages into something our non-technical users could understand.  For example, the message:

     string length (string) is less than minLength facet (0) for 1

might map to:

     The field <blah-blah> is empty, but it is required that you type something into that field.

Most of our users only see 2 or 3 different kinds of errors.  If I can make those error messages understandable, I'll have covered 95% of the situations our customers experience.  I'm looking for the best way to test an XmlError object to find out if it is a specific error, for example is it the error shown above?  Obviously I could test the message for an exact match to the text shown above, but there seem to be 3 parameters in the message, "string", "0", and "1", so there are problems with that approach.  Not to mention the text might be changed in the future.

When I get the above error, my code prints out the value of getErrorCode() and it is:  "cvc-minLength-valid.1.1".  So I thought I'll compare the value returned by getErrorCode() with a constant from XmlErrorCodes.  But when I look at the constants in the XmlErrorCodes package I have no error code has this value.  The closest is:

public static final java.lang.String DATATYPE_MIN_LENGTH_VALID = "cvc-minLength-valid";

when I look at this web site:  http://xmlbeans.apache.org/docs/2.0.0/reference/constant-values.html and search for "cvc-minLength-valid.1.1", I get this:

public static final String DATATYPE_MIN_LENGTH_VALID$STRING "cvc-minLength-valid.1.1"

but the variable name DATATYPE_MIN_LENGTH_VALID$STRING is not in my local copy of XmlErrorCodes.

Does anyone know what's going on here.  I'm not really a Java expert, so I'm not quite sure how to take this $STRING suffix.

-Sam

Re: Problem with Scandinavian characters åäö

Posted by kris16 <kr...@tietoenator.com>.
Hi,
I noticed that i had not saved the xml file in UTF-8 formate,
that is why i got the exception java.io.CharConversionException.

To solve the strange characters I used the toString("UTF-8") method to make
the characters appear correct in my console:

ByteArrayOutputStream result = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
newShowItem.save(result, opts);
System.out.println("\nPrint newShowItem.save(result);");
System.out.println(result.toString("UTF-8"));

/Regards Krister