Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Cool Techi <co...@outlook.com> on 2012/11/17 08:13:23 UTC

Question about Solr Cloud

Hi,

I have just started working with Solr cloud and have a few questions related to the same,

1) In the start script we provide the the following, what's the purpose of providing this.
-Dbootstrap_confdir=./solr/collection1/conf Since we don't yet have a config in zookeeper, this parameter causes the local configuration directory ./solr/conf to be uploaded as the "myconf" config.  The name "myconf" is taken from the "collection.configName" param below.   -Dcollection.configName=myconf sets the config to use for the new collection. Omitting this param will cause the config name to default to "configuration1"
2) When we make any changes into the config/schema do we need to copy it to all the shards running in the cloud manually?3) If we want to start with 10 shards on 2 machines, anticipating the future growth, do all these shards needs to run on separate jetty instances4) Is there any advantage of running solr on jetty then Tomcat?
Thanks,Ayush

Re: Question about Solr Cloud

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
bq. fetch the configuration and store it locally.

New nodes don't fetch the configs and store them locally - configs are
loaded straight from zookeeper currently.

- Mark

Re: Question about Solr Cloud

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
You can force Solr to use the new configs by reloading a collection:

http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=RELOAD&name=mycollection

This'll cause all shards (and replicas) in a collection to collect new
configs from ZooKeeper.

The main thing to note re Jetty, is that the Jetty included within Solr
is included for ease of demoing Solr, rather than for ease of
deployment. Whether you are going to deploy to Tomcat, JBoss or Jetty,
you would be best downloading a copy of the container, and installing
Solr within it (the one embedded doesn't have any startup scripts, nor
any maintenance interfaces, etc, all stuff that you'd expect from a
servlet container).

Upayavira

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.