Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Simpson, Andrew R CIV NSWC Crane, JXSNL" <an...@navy.mil> on 2015/12/10 15:34:33 UTC

using pkcs11 (CAC cards) with svn 1.8 and newer

I have been using svn 1.6 and 1.7 with PKCS11 Smart Cards for many years.  with the removal of NEON from svn 1.8 and newer, I have been unable to use svn with pkcs11 certs/cards at all using RHEL 6.X.  is there some configuration option that I'm missing?  does anyone know if it even works?  It's a huge issue considering that our subversion server provider has updated to svn 1.9x and now the older clients don't play nice.

Thanks!

RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: using pkcs11 (CAC cards) with svn 1.8 and newer

Posted by "Simpson, Andrew R CIV NSWC Crane, JXSNL" <an...@navy.mil>.
roger that.  I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this.  I have pushed it back to my contacts at forge already.

-Andrew
________________________________
Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
Here is the relevant Serf issue on this topic:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SERF-27

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: using pkcs11 (CAC cards) with svn 1.8 and newer

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Simpson, Andrew R CIV NSWC Crane, JXSNL <
andrew.simpson@navy.mil> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> so to be clear, unless we re-roll the latest subversion clients with
> pakchois and neon, we're going to be unable to use pkcs11?  That is a major
> issue for linux development in the DoD.  I will also need to contact RedHat
> to see what their plans are, but RHEL 6 is still stuck at 1.6.

Neon support was removed with SVN 1.8.  You are stuck on SVN 1.7 or earlier
for your clients.  I am sure the Apache Serf project would welcome
contributions of PKCS11 support for Linux.  If this is important to the DoD
... contribute resources.  It is not like the average open source developer
has access to a CAC environment to work on something like this.

http://serf.apache.org

> I can still use svn 1.6 and 1.7 with the newer subversion server.
> However, we have been seeing timeout issues when checking out of
> repositories and other quirks.  Otherwise, yes, it does work with PKCS 11.
> the subversion provider has updated to 1.8 or 1.9 (can't remember).  Since
> then, we have been experiencing issues with these timeouts every 5-12
> minutes of a checkout.

There is no reason to believe that a newer client version will make any
difference for a problem like this.   The version of Subversion on the
server is not the most likely reason for timeouts.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: using pkcs11 (CAC cards) with svn 1.8 and newer

I have been using svn 1.6 and 1.7 with PKCS11 Smart Cards for many years.  with the removal of NEON from svn 1.8 and newer, I have been unable to use svn with pkcs11 certs/cards at all using RHEL 6.X.  is there some configuration option that I'm missing?

I do not believe Serf has any support for this.  Even with Neon on Linux I believe it required a custom build involving the pakchois library.  On Windows, the pkcs11 support still works for Serf, but that is because it is provided via OpenSSL compile options that leverage the Windows support for smart cards.  There is nothing similar on Linux.

does anyone know if it even works?  It's a huge issue considering that our subversion server provider has updated to svn 1.9x and now the older clients don't play nice.

I would like to hear more details on this as it should not be true.  Any SVN client version should work properly with a SVN 1.9 server.  You should still be able to use 1.6 and 1.7 clients without any problems at all. There were no features added in SVN 1.9 that require a 1.9 client AND server:

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.9.html#new-feature-compatibility-table

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: using pkcs11 (CAC cards) with svn 1.8 and newer

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.