Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com> on 2006/03/07 16:30:42 UTC

The state of repository searching

This may sound like tangent to subversion, but its actually fairly
relevant. As subversion is primarly a data-store and manager of text
files, I wanted to inquire about the present and future state (not just
implementation, but present thinking on the matter of including it) of
full-text searching of the repository.

What facilities (or hooks) are there presently for doing this, and if
there are none, is there any plan or desire to implement in the future
(and if so, is this distant or present future)?

Thanks, and I'll be very interested in a discussion with anyone on this.

Cheers,

Brad

Re: The state of repository searching

Posted by Mark Johnson <mj...@sightworks.com>.
I fully agree.  Searching in time and space would be very powerful and save
time.  Any scrept based approaces I can think of would take a long time .
Though the ability to search through the history of a small subset of files
might be feasible.  I just had a need to use this today, I needing to find a
revision  in a list of 100 revisions of a single file.  doing this manually
is very time consuming, I actually never found what I was looking for.  I
gue it would be cool if you could search x revisonions back, then you could
just seach through small chunks of revisions at a time.

Posted by eg...@gmail.com.
Brad O'Hearne wrote:
> This may sound like tangent to subversion, but its actually fairly
> relevant. As subversion is primarly a data-store and manager of text
> files, I wanted to inquire about the present and future state (not just
> implementation, but present thinking on the matter of including it) of
> full-text searching of the repository.
>
> What facilities (or hooks) are there presently for doing this, and if
> there are none, is there any plan or desire to implement in the future
> (and if so, is this distant or present future)?
>
> Thanks, and I'll be very interested in a discussion with anyone on this.

See:
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2005-10/1472.shtml