Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> on 2004/04/24 08:01:51 UTC

ThreadsPerChild on Win32

Hi Steve, and all,
    With great trepidation, I ask ... Steve, with cvs
mod_perl 2, and Apache/2.0.49, have you seen any errors
connected with having to raise ThreadsPerChild? I find I can
run the tests OK with 'nmake test' (and they start in about
half the time now!), but if I try to run an individual test,
or groups of tests, I get an error with suggestion of
raising ThreadsPerChild. This is fixed by raising it to
about 25.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: ThreadsPerChild on Win32

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>>Stas came up with a workaround solution for mp2, but it didn't get
>>applied because we figured that the problem will go away from 2.0.50
>>onwards anyway.
>

> Thanks, Steve - I'd forgotten that that patch didn't make it
> into 2.0.49.

yeah, bill had forgotten about it, but it was the first commit to 2.0.50, so
it will definitely be in the next release.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/server/mpm/winnt/child.c?only_with_tag=APACHE_2_0_BRANCH

--Geoff

Re: ThreadsPerChild on Win32

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by Steve Hay <st...@uk.radan.com>.
Randy Kobes wrote:

>Hi Steve, and all,
>    With great trepidation, I ask ... Steve, with cvs
>mod_perl 2, and Apache/2.0.49, have you seen any errors
>connected with having to raise ThreadsPerChild? I find I can
>run the tests OK with 'nmake test' (and they start in about
>half the time now!), but if I try to run an individual test,
>or groups of tests, I get an error with suggestion of
>raising ThreadsPerChild. This is fixed by raising it to
>about 25.

This was discussed recently on modperl@perl.apache.org -- see the thread
starting at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=107885462525517&w=2.

I was needing to raise ThreadsPerChild from 20 to 21 as of 1.99_13, and
it turned out that it was due to a bug in Apache itself.  Bill Stoddard
kindly produced a patch for Apache that fixed it
(http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/server/mpm/winnt/child.c?r1=1.32&r2=1.33),
but it didn't make it into Apache 2.0.49.

Stas came up with a workaround solution for mp2, but it didn't get
applied because we figured that the problem will go away from 2.0.50
onwards anyway.

As for CVS mp2 with vanilla Apache 2.0.49: I get the "Server ran out of
threads to serve requests." error output 3 times into my error_log.
Increasing ThreadsPerChild by 3 (to 23) fixes things.  This is exactly
in line with the findings discussed above.

And my test suite server started up very quickly too -- only 23secs ;)

- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

The information contained in this message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached files for viruses: Radan Computational will accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.