Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by adfel70 <ad...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/07 13:44:41 UTC

out of memory when trying to sort by id in a 1.5 billion index

hi
I have 11 machines in my cluster.
each machine 128GB memory, 2 solr jvm's with 12gb heap each.
cluster has 7 shard, 3 replicas.
1.5 billion docs total.
most user queries are pretty simple for now, sorting by date fields and
another field the has around 1000 unique values.

I have a usecase for using cursorpage and when tried to check this, I got
outOfMemory just for sorting by id.
I read in old posts that I should add heap memory, and I can do that, but I
would rather not .
All other usecases I have are using stable 8gb heap .
Any other way to handle this in solr 4.8?

Re: out of memory when trying to sort by id in a 1.5 billion index

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: For sorting DocValues are the best option I think.

yep, definitely a good idea.

: > I have a usecase for using cursorpage and when tried to check this, I got
: > outOfMemory just for sorting by id.

what does the field/fieldType for your uniqueKey field look like?

If you aren't using DocValues, then the amount of RAM needed is going to
vary widely depending on the datatype used by the FieldCache.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: out of memory when trying to sort by id in a 1.5 billion index

Posted by Yago Riveiro <ya...@gmail.com>.
For sorting DocValues are the best option I think.

—
/Yago Riveiro