Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> on 2013/11/07 11:35:48 UTC

android target level

Apologies I think there is another thread about this but I'd like to
understand more about what we're thinking here. There's been discussion
that we should make this configurable. I disagree. I think we need to
target highest available level possible, as we always have in the past, and
take backwards compat on. That means we need to update [1].

Thoughts?

[1]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/blob/master/src/metadata/android_parser.js#L56

Re: android target level

Posted by Tommy-Carlos Williams <to...@devgeeks.org>.
+1

Re: android target level

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
It seems that all the platform scripts do something subtly different.
Some of them do support custom platform paths, others don't, etc.  It seems
like something we could easily consolidate.

Re: android target level

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Braden Shepherdson <br...@chromium.org>.
The correct fix here is to scrap CLI's half-assed custom check_requirements
implementation and have it call the real Android platform script instead.
Then that script should do the right thing re: API versions.

Braden

Re: android target level

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Braden Shepherdson <br...@chromium.org>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: android target level

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: android target level

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
The whole point is to have one APK across all official Android versions.
This requirement is going to confuse pur users even more and make
maintaining the platform next to impossible.  Web developers shouldn't have
to know about API level.

The fact is that we've been fairly successful in maintaining the ability to
create one apk to run on as many Android devices as possible and to go back
on this would flush years of hard work down the drain for zero benefit.

We might as well completely fork Android so that we have a version of the
platform for each version, since right now, I'm fairly certain the code
does not build on API level 10.

The only reason that I heard to make this configurable is the use case
where someone is using an old version of Cordova and it no longer compiles
on the latest SDK. This occurred once in the entire history of the project,
and was a specialized use case for PhoneGap build, which has to support
this due to user demand.  This is why I think that Cordova should create
projects that support and target the latest widely adopted version of
Android at the time of release.  In the case of 3.2.0, that would be
Android 4.3.

Other than the above narrow use case, there is zero reason to have this be
configurable.

Re: android target level

Posted by Axel Nennker <ig...@gmail.com>.