Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org> on 2015/04/20 20:50:26 UTC

Committing code (was Re: [DISCUSS] SVN, versioning...)

New thread.

Well, as a committer, you are responsible for committing your own code into
the Apache infra. I guess you are free to email your code to someone to
commit for you, but thats an agreement between you and said person. I would
recommend you at least give SVN a shot... its ok, it doesn't bite.

Re: Committing code (was Re: [DISCUSS] SVN, versioning...)

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Volkan,

Using SVN isn't difficult, though if you really don't like it you could use
git-svn locally. I strongly advise you to commit your own fixes rather than
sending patches by email - this will help you get up to speed with the
whole process of fixing stuff on ASF's infra. If you need somebody to
review your changes that can also be done easier on existing, linkable (in
the sense of available from a URL) code rather than discussing on top of an
attached file.

I don't think that our development was hindered by tooling but rather by
community disagreement and I think that a 2.x cleanup should have a higher
priority than switching SCM systems, which can happen at any point in time
without losing history, thanks to the INFRA team.

Cheers,
Radu