Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "R.M.Morrien" <rm...@quicknet.nl> on 2001/06/14 19:54:23 UTC

School project Java Servlet Tomcat Velocity documentation

Hi,

just wanted to let you know, we (3 classmates, Henry, Marloes and myself) have been trying to figure out how java servlets work over the last couple of months.. we wanted to use servlets to create a web-application and we decided we wanted to use a template engine. because there weren't any free servlet ISP's (we could find..) we configured our own webserver.
our webserver runst tomcat and velocity. the documentation we made is a description of how we configured our server, we made the documentation as part of a school project, and because there isn't really much information on the web. the most information we got, of course, from the jakarta site and especially from the velocity user mailing list. thanks for Velocity! escpecially we like to see it grow to a very good version, we're looking forward to the next release ;)
our documentation can be found at http://www.xs4all.nl/~rmorrien/JavaServlets/ if you've got any comments, you're welcome to give them, I don't know if I can apply them all to the documentation. if we made major mistakes.. let us know :) or if there is any copyright infringment or whatever.. let us know :)

thanks!

Martijn Morriën,
The Netherlands

Re: School project Java Servlet Tomcat Velocity documentation

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/21/01 6:53 AM, "James Maes" <jm...@sportingnews.com> wrote:

> That is an easy problem to get around.  We simply do a wget as part of our
> build script to make sure the page is compiled.

Yea, all of those template designers on MacOS have wget installed.

Sure... :-)

-jon

Re: School project Java Servlet Tomcat Velocity documentation

Posted by James Maes <jm...@sportingnews.com>.

--

------------------------------------
|| James Maes
|| Senior Programmer
|| jmaes@sportingnews.com
|| The Sporting News
|| www.sportingnews.com
|| fantasy.sportingnews.com
|| radio.sportingnews.com
------------------------------------

"given enough time and resources we can accomplish anything"

Re: School project Java Servlet Tomcat Velocity documentation

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@pindad.com>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/14/01 8:51 PM, "psaunder@comcen.com.au" <ps...@comcen.com.au> wrote:

> Perhaps it's time to do an expose on Turbine, because Turbine
> can _really_ make your world spin. Right Jon?
>
> Pat.

Turbine solves common problems. That is all.

-jon

Re: School project Java Servlet Tomcat Velocity documentation

Posted by ps...@comcen.com.au.
Good stuff,
The only question I have: is it necessary to build Velocity?
I can't recall having to do that, in fact, I shy away from
that if possible.
Nonetheless, it is good to see people exploring velocity.

Quoting "R.M.Morrien" <rm...@quicknet.nl>:

> Hi, just wanted to let you know, we (3 classmates, Henry, Marloes and myself) >have
[ cut]

Re: School project Java Servlet Tomcat Velocity documentation

Posted by Gunnar Rønning <gu...@polygnosis.com>.
* Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

| #2. http://www.xs4all.nl/~rmorrien/JavaServlets/node3.html
| Other than installing the JVM, you shouldn't need root on a Linux box to run
| this stuff.

You don't need root to install the JVM, just proper write permissions to
the appropriate directory. Better that way than accidently installing
some nasty suid scripts as root...

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Re: School project Java Servlet Tomcat Velocity documentation

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/18/01 2:37 PM, "piero de salvia" <pi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> GPL is different from Apache's license in that
> whatever you write with it you have to put back in the
> GPL and cannot sell right?

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/license-list.html

-jon

Re: School project Java Servlet Tomcat Velocity documentation

Posted by piero de salvia <pi...@yahoo.com>.
> #1. Please please please don't use the GPL license
> for the document. It
> would be really great to someday integrate that
> document into the Velocity
> documentation, but with that license, we can't do
> that.

GPL is different from Apache's license in that
whatever you write with it you have to put back in the
GPL and cannot sell right?

piero de salvia

http://buzz.yahoo.com/

Re: School project Java Servlet Tomcat Velocity documentation

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/14/01 10:54 AM, "R.M.Morrien" <rm...@quicknet.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just wanted to let you know, we (3 classmates, Henry, Marloes and myself) have
> been trying to figure out how java servlets work over the last couple of
> months.. we wanted to use servlets to create a web-application and we decided
> we wanted to use a template engine. because there weren't any free servlet
> ISP's (we could find..) we configured our own webserver.
> our webserver runst tomcat and velocity. the documentation we made is a
> description of how we configured our server, we made the documentation as part
> of a school project, and because there isn't really much information on the
> web. the most information we got, of course, from the jakarta site and
> especially from the velocity user mailing list. thanks for Velocity!
> escpecially we like to see it grow to a very good version, we're looking
> forward to the next release ;)
> our documentation can be found at http://www.xs4all.nl/~rmorrien/JavaServlets/
> if you've got any comments, you're welcome to give them, I don't know if I can
> apply them all to the documentation. if we made major mistakes.. let us know
> :) or if there is any copyright infringment or whatever.. let us know :)
>
> thanks!
>
> Martijn Morriën,
> The Netherlands

Awesome!

A few comments:

#1. Please please please don't use the GPL license for the document. It

#2. http://www.xs4all.nl/~rmorrien/JavaServlets/node3.html

#3. http://www.xs4all.nl/~rmorrien/JavaServlets/node7.html
Should be "HTTP" not "HTPP"

#4. http://www.xs4all.nl/~rmorrien/JavaServlets/node30.html
[rmorrien@escay sample]$ cd \$TOMCAT\_HOME
[rmorrien@escay tomcat]$ cd \$TOMCAT\_HOME/doc/appdev/sample

I don't think the "\" should be in there.

"Go to the directory en try"

Should be:

"Go to the directory and try"

#5. http://www.xs4all.nl/~rmorrien/JavaServlets/node33.html
If you install Ant properly, you don't need a build.sh any longer.

Thanks!

-jon