Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Gao <st...@yahoo.com> on 2009/11/16 21:45:56 UTC

What's different of 1)namenode metadata 2)image and 3)edit logs?

What are the differences between the 3 concepts: (1) namenode metadata, (2) namenode image, and (3) edit logs?

BTW,I know the secondary namenode backups namenode data.

I was told that there is another daemon which also backups meta data . Is that true? What is the daemon? Thanks.

Re: What's different of 1)namenode metadata 2)image and 3)edit logs?

Posted by Boris Shkolnik <bo...@yahoo-inc.com>.
NameNode metadata - is in memory data structures describing file system
structure (directories, files, and file's blocks).

NameNode image is on-disk representation of the metadata. (fsimage file).

Edit logs - is a journal that keeps all the events that cause changes in the
metadata and allows restoration in case of NameNode failure.

Secondary Namenode - runs checkpoints from time to time. During a checkpoint
edit logs are merged into metadata and saved to fsimage, which is pushed to
the NameNode.

Boris.

Posted by Boris Shkolnik <bo...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Boris Shkolnik <bo...@yahoo-inc.com>.