Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by wi...@digitalsteps.com on 2004/06/09 12:35:12 UTC

Problems running Cocoon 2.1.5 on Websphere 5.1

I'm having problems running Cocoon 2.1.5 on Websphere 5.1. The first
problem is that I can't build cocoon with my java_home set to point at
IBM's jdk. I can get round this by using sun's jdk but I'm not sure if
trying to run it using a different jdk than that which it was compiled, is
a bad mistake?
The built war file successfully deploys to Websphere but upon running many
of the samples I get either:
- ResourceNotFound exception :
org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException: No pipeline matched request:
welcome

Or for other samples I get javascript related exceptions such as :
- org.mozilla.javascript.JavaScriptException:
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: getWidget(id) got deprecated from
the API.
- Error 500: org.mozilla.javascript.NativeJavaPackage: method
<init>(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/ClassLoader;)V not found

Any help or advice much appreciated,

Will

Re: Problems running Cocoon 2.1.5 on Websphere 5.1

Posted by Nicole Hochleiter <ho...@seitenbau.com>.
Hi,
I had the same problems and with your postings I managed to run
Cocoon 2.1.5 on Websphere 5.1. Thanks! :-)

But now I updated Cocoon to 2.1.6 and got the Problem again. I' using the
ParanoidCocoonServlet and set the Logging to use the Apache commons logging
supplied with Cocoon.
Setting the classloader mode to PARENT_LAST for both the EAR and WAR files
I could not start the application at all. So I tried variations of
this setting. Setting it to EAR: PARENT_LAST and WAR:PARENT_FIRST,
the application started, but I could not run any flowskript.
I always get the message:
Error 500: org.mozilla.javascript.NativeJavaPackage:
method <init>(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/ClassLoader;)V not found

Did anyone manage to solve this problem?

Nicole

Re: Problems running Cocoon 2.1.5 on Websphere 5.1

Posted by wi...@digitalsteps.com.
Finally succeeded in getting Cocoon to run successfully within Websphere
5.1 by carrying out the following steps:

1) Setting the classloader mode to PARENT_LAST for both the EAR and WAR
files
2) Using ParanoidCocoonServlet by replacing:
 <servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet</servlet-class>
with
<servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.servlet.ParanoidCocoonServlet</servlet-class>
in the web.xml (this step might be optional)
3) Explicitly setting the logging to use the Apache commons logging
supplied with Cocoon. This was a major stumbling block as a
ClassCastException was getting thrown due to incompatibility between
websphere's own TrLogFactory and that in the Apache commons api. To
overcome this problem we referred to an IBM document detailing how to
integrate Jakarta logging within Websphere 5 found at  -
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27004610&aid=1
The solution we tried, as detailed in the document, was to specify the
fully-qualified class name of the LogFactory implementation in file
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory within the EAR file's
…/META-INF/services directory. This involved creating a file
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory and insert into it the name of the
JCL LogFactory implementation class, without quotes. For example, to
utilize the Log4j LogFactory insert the name:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory.

Hope these instructions may be of use to others,

Will Durrant

Re: Problems running Cocoon 2.1.5 on Websphere 5.1

Posted by wi...@digitalsteps.com.
I've tried running it using ParanoidCocoonServlet but without any change.
I've also tried setting both the ear and war classloaders to PARENT_LAST,
but this produces a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError for
org/apache/jcs/engine/control/CompositeCacheManager when trying to run any
of the samples. Returning the classloader settings back to PARENT_FIRST
just produces:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.mozilla.javascript.NativeJavaPackage:
method <init>(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/ClassLoader;)V not found

Any further help much appreciated

Will

On 09.06.2004 12:35, will.durrant@digitalsteps.com wrote:
> I'm having problems running Cocoon 2.1.5 on Websphere 5.1. The first
> problem is that I can't build cocoon with my java_home set to point at
> IBM's jdk. I can get round this by using sun's jdk but I'm not sure if
> trying to run it using a different jdk than that which it was compiled,
is
> a bad mistake?
> The built war file successfully deploys to Websphere but upon running
many
> of the samples I get either:
> - ResourceNotFound exception :
> org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException: No pipeline matched
request:
> welcome
>
> Or for other samples I get javascript related exceptions such as :
> - org.mozilla.javascript.JavaScriptException:
> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: getWidget(id) got deprecated
from
> the API.
> - Error 500: org.mozilla.javascript.NativeJavaPackage: method
> <init>(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/ClassLoader;)V not found

That should be a problem with our patch version of the Mozilla Rhino
package. I'm not that familiar with classloader issues but does it work
if you use the ParanoidCocoonServlet?

It's one of the first entries in web.xml. Change
<servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet</servlet-class>
<servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.servlet.ParanoidCocoonServlet</servlet-class>

Joerg

Re: Problems running Cocoon 2.1.5 on Websphere 5.1

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.