Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jay Soffian <ja...@cimedia.com> on 1998/07/23 19:10:50 UTC

documentation/2679: mod_rewrite docs for [proxy|P] include incorrect note

>Number:         2679
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       mod_rewrite docs for [proxy|P] include incorrect note
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The docs for mod_rewrite under the [proxy|P] option include the following
statement:

Notice: You really have to put ProxyRequests On into your server configuration to prevent proxy requests from leading to
            core-dumps inside the Apache kernel. If you have not compiled in the proxy module, then there is no core-dump problem,
            because mod_rewrite checks for existence of the proxy module and if lost forbids proxy URLs.

I believe this to be incorrect under at least 1.2.6 and 1.3.any. I've used
this option w/o turning on ProxyRequests and have not experience a core dump.

I noticed this because when we turn on ProxyRequests, it allows external users
to use our servers as proxies, which is not what we want. Turning on ProxyRequests
and using a ProxyBlock * does not work because that prevents the internal proxy
requests that occur from mod_rewrite to fail. Using:

<Directory proxy:*>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from [addresses of this host]
</Directory>

also will not work because the IP comparision is done against the connecting
host, not against the IP of the localhost (this is a separate bug I am
about to submit).

Anyway, we solved the problem by not turning on ProxyRequests.
>How-To-Repeat:
Use mod_rewrite's [proxy|P] option in a rewriterule but don't turn on
proxyrequests.
>Fix:
Verify and update the documentation.