Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2017/07/03 18:11:55 UTC

[DISCUSS] Fluo graduation as TLP

Greetings Incubator,

The Fluo podling has decided to pursue graduation to a TLP. The result of
the internal PPMC vote is at [1] (apologies that it occurred on our private
list instead of on our dev list; the discuss thread [2] which preceded it
did occur on the dev list). Our podling status page has recently been
updated and can be found here[3].

Below, you can view the proposed TLP resolution which we'd like to present
to the board with the support of the IPMC, after sufficient discussion here
and subsequent IPMC vote.

[1]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/04a9de260fcd14b184ae7a8b725e348e13ee4ad10e3057a6a404732c@%3Cprivate.fluo.apache.org%3E
[2]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3164d77ea18c3e36ce215ab4a07b2cb80cf9c49c2503ef5d1defbdde@%3Cdev.fluo.apache.org%3E
[3]: https://incubator.apache.org/projects/fluo

**********
Establish the Apache Fluo Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to the storage and incremental processing of large data sets.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Fluo Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Fluo Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to the storage and
incremental processing of large data sets; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Fluo" be and hereby
is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of
the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Fluo Project, and to
have primary responsibility for management of the projects within the
scope of responsibility of the Apache Fluo Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Fluo Project:

* Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>
* Chris McTague <cj...@apache.org>
* Christopher Tubbs <ct...@apache.org>
* Corey J. Nolet <cj...@apache.org>
* Drew Farris <dr...@apache.org>
* Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>
* Keith Turner <kt...@apache.org>
* Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Keith Turner be appointed
to the office of Vice President, Apache Fluo, to serve in accordance
with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the
Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Fluo PMC be and hereby is tasked with
the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development
and increased participation in the Apache Fluo Project; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Fluo Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Fluo podling; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Fluo podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

Re: [DISCUSS] Fluo graduation as TLP

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
To clarify just in case it's not clear (I had to read it twice to get
it): notifications@f.a.o[1] is what Christopher meant by "the
notifications list" and is probably the discussion you're looking for,
Bertrand :)

[1] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?notifications@fluo.apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Below is a link to our the most commented issues from all Fluo repositories
> to give you examples of our work flow:..

Thanks!

https://github.com/apache/incubator-fluo/issues/230 is a nice
example...which in the end looks very much like a mailing list
discussion would *if people are very careful about properly quoting
things* - but I agree that that's much easier to do in GitHub tickets.

Thanks Fluo team for the clarifications, this looks good to me
considering that
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?notifications@fluo.apache.org has
the complete discussion events flow.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Fluo graduation as TLP

Posted by Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org>.
> Code reviews happens after the fact but sometimes a wild idea needs to
be discussed and fleshed out for a while before code can be written.
> Could you provide an example of such a discussion? Links to the
relevant messages are good enough, just to understand how/where things
happen.

Developers typically create a GitHub issue if they have a wild idea.
Discussion happens on the issue.  If someone decides to do the work, they
can mention the issue in their pull request.

This can happen using email but I prefer communication on GitHub (or a
similar tool like GitLab) due to the seamless linking between issues, pull
requests (i.e code reviews), and commits. I find it much easier to view all
communication regarding a commit or an issue if everything is done on
GitHub rather than a combination of tools (like email, JIRA, review board,
etc).

Below is a link to our the most commented issues from all Fluo repositories
to give you examples of our work flow:

https://github.com/search?o=desc&p=1&q=is%3Aissue+repo%3Aapache%2Fincubator-fluo+repo%3Aapache%2Fincubator-fluo-recipes+repo%3Aapache%2Fincubator-fluo-website+&s=comments&type=Issues&utf8=%E2%9C%93

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I used the whimsy tool to generate the draft proposal included in this
thread. Very convenient!
My intention was to let this thread sit for the weekend, and start a VOTE
thread on Monday if no new discussion activity.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Top posting. These are all excellent reasons to remain separate.

Best Regards,
Dave

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Josh,

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 4:23 PM John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Oh hmm did a bit more digging.
>
> Looks like you did add someone, but I guess due to timing it was missed in
> the last board report? Then nevermind, ignore my 2nd bullet point.

Correct. This was due to timing. If we don't graduate by then, the new
committer will appear on our next report. (And will appear on our first
board report if we do graduate.) Our podling status page does include him,
however.

> John
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 4:15 PM John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Christopher,
> >
> > Thanks for the heads up.  A few nits on my part, but overall I would be
> > happy to see Fluo graduate.  When reading my notes, please also consult
> the
> > graduation guide at [1].
> >
> > - The discussion and vote should have happened on your public dev list,
> > not private.  It's good that at least discussion happened publicly, and
> the
> > actual vote isn't required so it's not a big deal.
> > - I don't see any sign that you added new committers or PPMC members
> since
> > incubating.  See also [2].  I don't see that as a show stopper, as it
> looks
> > like a diverse group.

It's not as diverse as we'd like. We recognize this and really want to do
better. This was raised in our DISCUSS thread, but it seems agreed that
remaining in Incubation is not going to help this situation much. It will
be something we will continue to work on, regardless, and something we'd
include in our board reports as a TLP.

> > - Of the proposed PMC, how many are actively committing to Fluo?  Was
> > there an ask at any point to see who was still interested?

At least three are actively committing. An additional one (myself) helps
out more with code reviews, build system maintenance, bug reports, and
releases rather than coding. At least one of the mentors was active with
reading issues and participating in discussions. Two others have mainly
been acting only as mentors.

I'm not sure I understand your second question.

> > - Only one mentor voted on the graduation.  Would be great to see if the
> > other mentors are equally on board.

I don't want to speak for them, but to summarize what's in the podling
VOTE/DISCUSS threads: only one formally voted in the VOTE thread, but one
more gave their enthusiastic +1 in the DISCUSS thread. The third expressed
some hesitation based on the size of the community (see my response about
diversity/size above), but seemed to accept the argument I made in that
thread for us continuing to work on this and include our progress in our
regular board reports as a TLP.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Oh hmm did a bit more digging.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.