Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2003/03/25 05:21:38 UTC

Interesting performance figures

Render using 'forrest':   11 mins
Rendered with 'wget' against a Tomcat instance:   3 mins 12s
Rendered with 2 wget's in parallel:   2 mins 27 secs

The wget's were fed a list of files to render, whereas the CLI had to
do ?cocoon-view=links requests, but still, quite a big difference.

--Jeff

Re: Interesting performance figures

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Andrew Savory wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>>This makes me wonder.
>>
>>How would you guys feel if cocoon decided to move all the cocoon CLI
>>code (cocoon bean, environment and all that) into forrest?
>>
>>with the move of forrestizing the docs, cocoon has clearly delegated all
>>the CLI responsibility to forrest.
>

> Hmm. I may be misunderstanding here, but what happens to people that use
> Cocoon to build sites, and want to generate them using the CLI?

yes, you're right, this will give the wrong perception since forrest is
already associated with its skin and its structure and all that.

nevermind.

Stefano.

Re: Interesting performance figures

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> This makes me wonder.
>
> How would you guys feel if cocoon decided to move all the cocoon CLI
> code (cocoon bean, environment and all that) into forrest?
>
> with the move of forrestizing the docs, cocoon has clearly delegated all
> the CLI responsibility to forrest.

Hmm. I may be misunderstanding here, but what happens to people that use
Cocoon to build sites, and want to generate them using the CLI?

Andrew.

Re: Interesting performance figures

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 25/03/2003 11.02:
> How would you guys feel if cocoon decided to move all the cocoon CLI
> code (cocoon bean, environment and all that) into forrest?

AFAIK all Forrest developers that would-can work on the CLI are Cocoon
committers too.
ATM Upayavira is really giving a nice hand at getting it better and I'm
following him actively. We already have a 30% improvement, and we are
profiling to make it better still.

If we get a real need of moving it (ie developers here that don't have
access to Cocoon), I'll be the first to ask for it :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Interesting performance figures

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Render using 'forrest':   11 mins
> Rendered with 'wget' against a Tomcat instance:   3 mins 12s
> Rendered with 2 wget's in parallel:   2 mins 27 secs
>
> The wget's were fed a list of files to render, whereas the CLI had to
> do ?cocoon-view=links requests, but still, quite a big difference.

This makes me wonder.

How would you guys feel if cocoon decided to move all the cocoon CLI
code (cocoon bean, environment and all that) into forrest?

with the move of forrestizing the docs, cocoon has clearly delegated all
the CLI responsibility to forrest. This will just make it stronger and
will allow you people to choose what's best for forrest which knows what
to do about static generation much more than cocoon which is a community
with a much wider spectrum.

note that there are no circular dependencies because cocoon docs
generation won't depend on cocoon compilation.

Thoughts?

Stefano.