Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/01 00:07:30 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Velocity 1.5 (again, this time for real. :-) )

On 1/31/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2007, at 10:40 PM, Nathan Bubna wrote:

> >> luck
> >>
> >> Then I'd argue this shouldn't be our site until this is fixed :)
> >
> > Sorry, it's a little late for argument. :(  this is our first go at
> > our TLP site.
>
> But the TLP site could have been a slightly agumented older site.

ah... hindsight.  yeah, it could've, at least until the new one was
totally ready.  we didn't expect so many problems, and even now i feel
like getting things sorted with Maven2 is the path of least resistance
and will be more useful in the long run.  again, YMMV.

> > we didn't have one, Henning made one that worked for
> > him and believed he had left sufficient instructions for others to
> > copy.  Turns out it wasn't so simple (at least for me, YMMV).  No one
> > foresaw this, and fixes and further effort are in the pipeline.  If i
> > understand the situation fully, the options facing each of us here are
> > a) jump in and help, b) replace it entirely with something more
> > workable, or c) wait for someone else to do a) or b).   personally,
> > i'm planning to find time for a).
>
> Great.  But don't give me flak for suggesting that having only one
> person able to build is suboptimal.

heh.  sorry, but it'd be really hard not to come back with a "thanks,
Captain Obvious" to something like that.  ;-)  seriously, we all know
it's not good, and Henning's not the only working on changing that
status.  help and/or patience are appreciated.

Re: [VOTE] Release Velocity 1.5 (again, this time for real. :-) )

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jan 31, 2007, at 11:07 PM, Nathan Bubna wrote:

> On 1/31/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> being

>> > Sorry, it's a little late for argument. :(  this is our first go at
>> > our TLP site.
>>
>> But the TLP site could have been a slightly agumented older site.
>
> ah... hindsight.  yeah, it could've, at least until the new one was
> totally ready.  we didn't expect so many problems, and even now i feel
> like getting things sorted with Maven2 is the path of least resistance
> and will be more useful in the long run.  again, YMMV.

I'm sure it's going to be great.  But it wasn't really much
'hindsight' on my part to suggest using the existing site.  I mean,
when Harmony went TLP, I switched a few URLs and <poof> a site for
Harmony the TLP...

>> > we didn't have one, Henning made one that worked for
>> > him and believed he had left sufficient instructions for others to
>> > copy.  Turns out it wasn't so simple (at least for me, YMMV).
>> No one
>> > foresaw this, and fixes and further effort are in the pipeline.
>> If i
>> > understand the situation fully, the options facing each of us
>> here are
>> > a) jump in and help, b) replace it entirely with something more
>> > workable, or c) wait for someone else to do a) or b).   personally,
>> > i'm planning to find time for a).
>>
>> Great.  But don't give me flak for suggesting that having only one
>> person able to build is suboptimal.
>
> heh.  sorry, but it'd be really hard not to come back with a "thanks,
> Captain Obvious" to something like that.  ;-)  seriously, we all know
> it's not good, and Henning's not the only working on changing that
> status.  help and/or patience are appreciated.

<sigh>

geir