Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Pankaj Gajjar <pa...@contentserv.com> on 2019/09/19 09:29:45 UTC

Virtual tables in Cassandra 4.0

Hello All,

I was exploring the Virtual tables and there is not much material available on internet or even apache Cassandra site.

I found one link little old one : https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2019/03/08/virtual-tables-in-cassandra-4_0.html

have you guys explored it ? what use case it’s fit well ?

Regards
Pankaj G.

Re: Virtual tables in Cassandra 4.0

Posted by Chris Lohfink <cl...@gmail.com>.
It's a new feature in a version thats just in alpha so how they will look
may change in the end. There will hopefully be documentation around 4.0 GA
release.

The feature at a high level though is an interface to handle queries with
an implementing class instead of the storage engine. A usecase that the
virtual tables currently created in system_views keyspace are for exploring
whats happening on system with cqlsh or directed cql queries (instead of
nodetool with jmx).

Chris