Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org> on 2001/09/25 20:17:06 UTC

New cocoon site

Hi,

Congratulations to all Cocoon 2 developers! The site I've been developing the
last couple of months has now gone on full launch. You can see it on:
 http://www.portugalmail.pt
 http://www.portugalmail.com
(I'm sorry for the language. There's only a portuguese version...)

I took some risks opting for Cocoon, but C2 was the only technology that would
allow me to do the site in a couple of months by myself. I must say I'm really
impressed at how C2 handles load. Portugalmail is the leading portuguese free
e-mail provider. The site serves 8 million pages a month (measured by banner
impressions by DART). Typically, at any given moment, it is serving between 100
and 200 requests, with peaks of 400. After HTTP caching, both by ISPs and by
front-side caching, the dynamic server takes about 10% of the load, which sums
up to 800k pages a month, for a month average of ~3s per page. Really excellent!

The site is being served by two beautiful VA Linux boxes (gotta love the blue
leds). One runs squid and Apache/mod_gzip,mod_php, and the other Tomcat and
Postgresql. There is room for improvement on the "dynamic" box by upgrading both
the RDBMS and the servlet container, but for now everything is happily humming
along. If anyone is worried about C2's ability to handle large loads, here's the
proof. It can handle large loads, and it can do it better than the common
PHP/mod_perl.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Carvalho

Re: New cocoon site

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
Hi!

Amazing perfomance! I never thought that such a good response time is
possible for information site based on Cocoon. Really glad to see this.

Would you share your experience a little? Are you using content aggregation,
XInclude/CInclude? Are you using typical pipelines for page generation:
[XSP->]XML->XSLT or maybe some other generators/transformers, JSP, PHP?

Is it planned to internationalize the site (make it multi-lingual)?

FYI, there is a minor defect on this page:
http://www.portugalmail.com/forums/read/cupido/mm/?forumPage=3
there are two rows of numbers (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 etc.)

Regards,
    Konstantin Piroumian

Re: New cocoon site

Posted by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org>.
From: Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>
--

> Now: this is the news I wanted to hear!!!!
>
> This is music for our ears.
>
> Sergio, how about writing a good in-depth howto/test-case that shows new
> users how to setup a system that rocks like that? it would be *very*
> helpful for the cause.
>
> What do you think?

I'll happily do it. I'll take a look at the new Two Idiots guide tutorial-like
that has been talked about, and I'll add a description of my setup there, this
weekend.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Carvalho

Re: New cocoon site

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sergio Carvalho wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Congratulations to all Cocoon 2 developers!

Oh, BTW, I join everybody in thanking all of you for this great thing.
Expecially Carsten for doing a magnificent job in coordinating the
effort. It feels great to be part of this community.

> The site I've been developing the
> last couple of months has now gone on full launch. You can see it on:
>  http://www.portugalmail.pt
>  http://www.portugalmail.com
> (I'm sorry for the language. There's only a portuguese version...)
>
> I took some risks opting for Cocoon, but C2 was the only technology that would
> allow me to do the site in a couple of months by myself. I must say I'm really
> impressed at how C2 handles load. Portugalmail is the leading portuguese free
> e-mail provider. The site serves 8 million pages a month (measured by banner
> impressions by DART). Typically, at any given moment, it is serving between 100
> and 200 requests, with peaks of 400. After HTTP caching, both by ISPs and by
> front-side caching, the dynamic server takes about 10% of the load, which sums
> up to 800k pages a month, for a month average of ~3s per page. Really excellent!
>
> The site is being served by two beautiful VA Linux boxes (gotta love the blue
> leds). One runs squid and Apache/mod_gzip,mod_php, and the other Tomcat and
> Postgresql. There is room for improvement on the "dynamic" box by upgrading both
> the RDBMS and the servlet container, but for now everything is happily humming
> along. If anyone is worried about C2's ability to handle large loads, here's the
> proof. It can handle large loads, and it can do it better than the common
> PHP/mod_perl.

Now: this is the news I wanted to hear!!!!

This is music for our ears.

Sergio, how about writing a good in-depth howto/test-case that shows new
users how to setup a system that rocks like that? it would be *very*
helpful for the cause.

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: New cocoon site

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
giacomo wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Sergio Carvalho wrote:
>
> I like this one :)
>
> How about a section of "success stories" in the docs/samples?

Should have read this one before :)

Impressive how we think in synch anyway.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: New cocoon site

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Sergio Carvalho wrote:

I like this one :)

How about a section of "success stories" in the docs/samples?

Giacomo

Re: New cocoon site

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.