Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/01 00:06:05 UTC

first look at a scrolling News column...

Well, I have finally put up a mockup of what a scrolling News column on our
home page would look like.

This is in the "test" area on staging at the moment.

http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/test/

This required editing changes to the index page and a minor styling change
for the home.css styles along with using an ssi for the news instead of two
areas.

For this mockup, I did take out a LOT of old news.

Anyway, see what you think. I find the scroll bars a bit ugly but we may be
able to pretty them up somehow.

This will save the hassle we currently do with the News items however.

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                                                         --
Aesop

Re: first look at a scrolling News column...

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 01/01/2013 10:12 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Carl Marcum <cmarcum@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/31/2012 06:06 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>         Well, I have finally put up a mockup of what a scrolling News
>         column on our
>         home page would look like.
>
>         This is in the "test" area on staging at the moment.
>
>         http://ooo-site.staging.__apache.org/test/
>         <http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/test/>
>
>         This required editing changes to the index page and a minor
>         styling change
>         for the home.css styles along with using an ssi for the news
>         instead of two
>         areas.
>
>         For this mockup, I did take out a LOT of old news.
>
>         Anyway, see what you think. I find the scroll bars a bit ugly
>         but we may be
>         able to pretty them up somehow.
>
>         This will save the hassle we currently do with the News items
>         however.
>

>     +1
>
>     I like it.
>
>     Thanks for work.
>     Carl
>

> Thanks for the kudos, all.
>
> I will see what can be done about styling for phones.

hmmm...well, double checking just now, it seems the "block' allocated
for the scroll is now just totally ignored via my phone and just makes a
LONG column, so maybe not so bad. At first, it cut off the bottom.

I will reconstruct with ALL the old news with this styling, and call for
LAZY CONSENSUS on this change.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 01/01/2013 12:06 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> Well, I have finally put up a mockup of what a scrolling News column on our
> home page would look like.
>
> This is in the "test" area on staging at the moment.
>
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/test/
>
> This required editing changes to the index page and a minor styling change
> for the home.css styles along with using an ssi for the news instead of two
> areas.
>
> For this mockup, I did take out a LOT of old news.
>
> Anyway, see what you think. I find the scroll bars a bit ugly but we may be
> able to pretty them up somehow.
>
> This will save the hassle we currently do with the News items however.

Thanks for the news improvement. I also think that the scrollbar is not
too bad. Otherwise you have to invent a complete new design for
scrollbars and to tell the broser to use this instead of the default.
And this would be an effort which is (IMHO) not worthwhile - if it's
just for this one.

So, just keep this one. :-)

Marcus

RE: first look at a scrolling News column...

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
The scroll bars aren't that bad.  They will work reasonably well working with a touch screen/pad too.

One suggestion: It's helpful if news items are always be dated [;<).

 - Dennis