Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com> on 2002/11/08 13:29:15 UTC

HOWTO integrate a servlet into cocoon (wiki-howto incorrect?)

Hy;

I tried to add another servlet to the cocoon webapp.
i found a HOWTO in the cocoon-wiki, but it doesn't
work (for me) as expected. I'm shure, the solution
to this is trivial, but i don't see it.

what i want to achieve:

I want to call a servlet and it's output shall be
placed into a pipeline for further processing with cocoon.
I need the servlet in the cocoon context because i want
to keep things simple (maybe a wrong assumption :-))
and i need the session context also within my servlet.

Here is what i did so far:

1.) add the new servlet spec to cocoon/WEB-INF/web.xml:

   <servlet>
     <servlet-name>Zoro</servlet-name>
     <servlet-class>com.saxess.zob.Zoro</servlet-class>
     <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
   </servlet>

   <servlet-mapping>
     <servlet-name>Zoro</servlet-name>
     <url-pattern>*internal/app</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

   What i want here is:
   every request, that ends with "...internal/app"
   shall be mapped to the servlet "Zoro"

   How can i test, that the servlet is really called and
   executed without interfering with the cocoon sitemap?

2.) add a sitemap entry:

   <map:match pattern="**/app">
     <map:generate src="/metasearch/internal/app"/>
     <map:serialize/>
   </map:match>

   what i want here is:
   The servlet is called and it's result is streamed into the pipeline
   and  processed further ...

   Unfortunately the system does NOT attempt to call the servlet,
   but tries to load a file. i get following exception:

   Exception during processing of file:/metasearch/internal/app

   I also tried using

   <map:generate src="context::/metasearch/internal/app"/>

   although i don't uinderstand, what i'm doing there. In fact it also
   didn't work ;-(

An now i'm stuck again. OK, people, i promise you, if i get my
app finally working, i will write down all bits and peaces and
donate this to the cocoon documentation , the wiki and whatever
is reasonable.

Any comment would help again...

regards, Hussayn

complete failure to integrate an additional servlet into cocoon

Posted by Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.
Hy;

  Does anyone know, if the following Wiki-Howto applies to
  cocoon-2.0.3 or does it apply for newer releases only???

     http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=IntegrateAServlet

  Could someone tell me, if there is a difference between
  this notation:

     <map:pipeline>
      <map:match pattern="**/app">
       <map:generate src="/metasearch/internal/app"/>
       <map:serialize/>
      </map:match>
     </map:pipeline>

  compared to this one:

     <map:pipeline match="**/app">
       <map:generate src="/metasearch/internal/app"/>
       <map:serialize/>
     </map:pipeline>

  Anyway both notations won't work for me.
  I am completely stuck after hours and hours of try and
  error with my servlet integration ...
  My problem is described below. I posted it into the
  cocoon-user list, but nobody could help so far.
  maybe someone from this list could give me a hint .... please ???

  regards, Hussayn

Re: HOWTO integrate a servlet into cocoon

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.
Hy again;

Does anyone know, if the following Wiki Howto applies to
cocoon-2.0.3 or does it apply for newer releases only???

    http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=IntegrateAServlet

I am still stuck after hours and hours of try and error with
my servlet integration ...

anyone any idea, what might go wrong ?

Could someone tell me, if there is a difference between
this notation:

    <map:pipeline>
     <map:match pattern="**/app">
      <map:generate src="/metasearch/internal/app"/>
      <map:serialize/>
     </map:match>
    </map:pipeline>

compared to this one:

    <map:pipeline match="**/app">
      <map:generate src="/metasearch/internal/app"/>
      <map:serialize/>
    </map:pipeline>

I'm clueless... any comment ???

regards, Hussayn

Hussayn Dabbous wrote:
> Hy;
>
> I tried to add another servlet to the cocoon webapp.
> i found a HOWTO in the cocoon-wiki, but it doesn't
> work (for me) as expected. I'm shure, the solution
> to this is trivial, but i don't see it.
>
> what i want to achieve:
>
> I want to call a servlet and it's output shall be
> placed into a pipeline for further processing with cocoon.
> I need the servlet in the cocoon context because i want
> to keep things simple (maybe a wrong assumption :-))
> and i need the session context also within my servlet.
>
> Here is what i did so far:
>
> 1.) add the new servlet spec to cocoon/WEB-INF/web.xml:
>
>   <servlet>
>     <servlet-name>Zoro</servlet-name>
>     <servlet-class>com.saxess.zob.Zoro</servlet-class>
>     <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
>   </servlet>
>
>   <servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-name>Zoro</servlet-name>
>     <url-pattern>*internal/app</url-pattern>
>   </servlet-mapping>
>
>   What i want here is:
>   every request, that ends with "...internal/app"
>   shall be mapped to the servlet "Zoro"
>
>   How can i test, that the servlet is really called and
>   executed without interfering with the cocoon sitemap?
>
> 2.) add a sitemap entry:
>
>   <map:match pattern="**/app">
>     <map:generate src="/metasearch/internal/app"/>
>     <map:serialize/>
>   </map:match>
>
>   what i want here is:
>   The servlet is called and it's result is streamed into the pipeline
>   and  processed further ...
>
>   Unfortunately the system does NOT attempt to call the servlet,
>   but tries to load a file. i get following exception:
>
>   Exception during processing of file:/metasearch/internal/app
>
>   I also tried using
>
>   <map:generate src="context::/metasearch/internal/app"/>
>
>   although i don't uinderstand, what i'm doing there. In fact it also
>   didn't work ;-(
>
> An now i'm stuck again. OK, people, i promise you, if i get my
> app finally working, i will write down all bits and peaces and
> donate this to the cocoon documentation , the wiki and whatever
> is reasonable.
>
> Any comment would help again...
>
> regards, Hussayn

Dr. Hussayn Dabbous