Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by William Biggs <kc...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/03 04:57:30 UTC

deploy a war file

if I name a war file called kc8pdr.war and after I upload it to my
tomcat and restart it it put it a folder called kc8pdr . How do I get it
to do it in the public_html folder instead

Re: deploy a war file

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
You can, although you'll have to reconfigure Tomcat in order to do this.

However, it sounds like you want to place your war file where Apache httpd can
see it (after enabling the mod_userdir and configuring it). If you do this and
serve that directory with Apache httpd, some very unpleasant things will happen.

kc8pdr/WEB-INF, and kc8pdr/META-INF will be visible. If you are using a Resource
element in context.xml (stored in kc8pdr/META-INF), any information (like user
names and passwords) will be visible to the world. Although you can prevent this
by doing some more configuration work in Apache httpd, this requires extra
steps.

JSP pages will come across as text and code, not HTML. Servlets will come across
as binary files, which users will be asked to download.

Apache httpd does not run JSP, servlets, or any other Java-based technology.

If you want to serve Tomcat applications via Apache httpd, you'll have to
connect the two with mod_proxy_http, mod_proxy_ajp, or mod_ajp. To get an
understanding on how to use mod_ajp, go here:

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/

Doing this passes requests for your Java web application from Apache httpd to
Tomcat. Tomcat is doing all the work, and depending on your requirements (not
stated), Apache httpd will e contributing little more than complexity.

If you are only serving Java web applications, then you might just be better off
not running Apache httpd and switching Tomcat to port 80. Front Tomcat with
Apache httpd when you're running additional applications (such as PHP, Python,
or Perl), or have Apache httpd plugins that don't have counterparts in Tomcat.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/