Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Ryan Merriman <me...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/20 21:37:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] How should Management UI save changes?

Recently @nickwallen brought up some good points about the usability of the
Management UI here:
https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/737#issuecomment-330632113.  The
issues he brings up apply to all child panels so I think it makes sense to
agree on a common approach and apply it to all of them.

Most child panels have a save button that saves changes to the local
(browser) copy of the config.  The save button on the primary panel
persists the changes to zookeeper and closes all panels.  Should we change
the buttons or button text?  What should the different buttons do?  One
idea could be to just skip saving to a local copy, meaning hitting the save
button persists changes in that panel to zookeeper.  Another idea could be
to get rid of the save buttons on child panels and changes to the form
would immediately update the local copy.  In this case we would likely need
an indicator that there are changes to be saved (or should we have that no
matter what?).  Other ideas?

There is also the issue of being able to discard changes and go back to
what they were before.  Now you can close a child or primary panel but you
discard all changes in that panel and all changes period in the case of the
primary panel.  We could be to expose a revert link or button for each form
input (a lot of work probably).  Other ideas?

Ryan

Re: [DISCUSS] How should Management UI save changes?

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
Maybe we should use DEPLOY as the final stage?

On October 2, 2017 at 14:31:08, Nick Allen (nick@nickallen.org) wrote:

> Maybe change the text on the button on the primary panel to "write"
instead of "save"?

Another option would be to call it "Apply".

> Also, I want wider child panels in the management UI if at all possible.
Especially
the "RAW JSON" feels cramped.

Yes, I agree. It seems to odd to me that the main work area in the
Management UI is presented as a side panel that consumes a minority portion
of the screen real estate.

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Posted by Michael Miklavcic <mi...@gmail.com>.
Do we have any screen mockups/pdfs that can be shared? It might be easier
for the community to discuss.