Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by kelvin goodson <kg...@thegoodsons.org.uk> on 2010/06/01 15:14:36 UTC

releasing the maven-tuscany-plugin

Ant mentioned that the maven-tuscany-plugin should be released in
parallel with the sca-java 2.0 M5 release.  Is there any reason why I
shouldn't go ahead and cut a branch for this?

Kelvin.

Re: releasing the maven-tuscany-plugin

Posted by kelvin goodson <kg...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.
Having had a discussion with ant on IRC, it seems clear the profile
approach won't work.  Without the fix in maven 3.0 alpha, no matter
what order we put modules into a profile, maven's dependency
resolution mechanism is going to end up putting the cart before the
horse.  So that leaves us with Hobson's choice ... the documented
process that when bumping the version number, the only way to get a
clean build first time is first to build in modules, then build the
plugins and then in samples.

However, it's still seems advantageous to bring the
maven-tuscany-plugin into the sca-java-2.x to save the pain of
multiple branches and releases. Is there any reason why we need to
retain the flexibility of being able to release that plugin
independently?

Kelvin.

Posted by kelvin goodson <kg...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:22 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM, kelvin goodson <kg...@thegoodsons.org.uk> wrote:
>>> Ant mentioned that the maven-tuscany-plugin should be released in
>>> parallel with the sca-java 2.0 M5 release.  Is there any reason why I
>>> shouldn't go ahead and cut a branch for this?
>>>
>>> Kelvin.
>>>

>> I don't expect so but if this plugin and Tuscany trunk depend on one
>> another why don't we pull this particular plugin into trunk otherwise
>> it'll be a problem every time we try and release. It feels like make
>> work.
>>

> The main reason we don't do this was because there didn't used to be a
> way to have the Maven reactor build the plugins before there were
> used. That meant that either the build would fail or you needed a
> separate build step( eg -Psetup) or if you got "lucky" the build would
> work but it would be using the previous version of the plugin so any
> problems didn't get found until the next build which used to cause all
> sorts of confusion. It looks like this has been fixed in Maven now -
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2135 - so we could try moving it
> to be part of trunk. I shall have a look...
>
>   ...ant

That was marked as fixed in 3.0Alpha so that maybe a concern. If that
gives problems we should stick with what we have for the short term
and document a process (or a profile) which gets the
modules/plugin/samples build in the right order.

build

Re: releasing the maven-tuscany-plugin

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <kg...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.
that would make life much easier; perhaps a plugins directory in the
sca-java-2.x trunk, where coreq plugins reside (leaving non-coreq
plugins where they are)

Kelvin.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.