Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "McKenzie, Adam" <ad...@usask.ca> on 2011/10/06 23:16:18 UTC

Troubles with setMaxInactiveInterval

Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem in my application that too many sessions are remaining open instead of closing after turning inactive when using the Jetty HttpService. This eventually leads to the application grounding to a halt after ~2.8 million sessions are made. I have manually set the maxInactiveInterval on one of the HttpServletRequests REST endpoints to a short period and have verified that if I create 10,000 requests the sessions are disposed of properly. Fixing it this manual way seems like a bad solution considering there is at least 200 places where requests are handled and this number will increase over time creating a risk of forgetting to set the default timeout value.

Based upon this former email on the mailing list (http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@felix.apache.org/msg19839.html) and the lack of the configuration property in the documentation (http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-http-service.html) I assume there is no way to set this value in a configuration file similar to web.xml? Is there a way that I can from a HttpServletRequest get access to the SessionManager or some other object that will enable me to set a default timeout value for all sessions? I also don't see a way to do this by grabbing the HttpService during a bundle activation through the context.

Thanks!
Adam McKenzie
ITS, University of Saskatchewan
Rm 61 Physics, 116 Science Place
Saskatoon SK S7N 5E2 Canada
(306) 966-2453

Re: Troubles with setMaxInactiveInterval

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Adam

Wow - 2.8 million sessions, kudos. Your usage sounds higher than most of
us hence why this hasn't plagued more of us sooner.

It looks like there is already a JIRA issue for this:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-2687

There is a patch mentioned, but I couldn't actually see it or vouch for
it's provenance.

I'll add your comments to it, might help jog some memories. If I get a
gap in my project work I may take a look and see if it's a quickie to do.

Regards

-- Rob Walker

--

Ascert - Taking systems to the Edge