Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Dov Rosenberg <do...@conviveon.com> on 2005/11/23 00:08:24 UTC

Tapestry Components versus WebObjects Components

Has anyone put together a comparison on how WO components and tapestry
components are similar or not?

My primary concerns are the following:

1. Do Tapestry components provide the "server side" event model like a WO
Component?

2. Can Tapestry components be built from other Tapestry components? Is there
a limit to the number of layers?

3. Is there a similar Request-Response loop paradigm?

I am pretty sure the answers to these questions is Yes. Any notes on the
conversion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

--
Dov Rosenberg
Conviveon/Inquira

Re: Tapestry Components versus WebObjects Components

Posted by Christian Mittendorf <ch...@freenet.de>.
Am 23.11.2005 um 00:08 schrieb Dov Rosenberg:

> Has anyone put together a comparison on how WO components and tapestry
> components are similar or not?

I don't have a point by point comparison, but I'll try to give my 2
cent ;-)

> 1. Do Tapestry components provide the "server side" event model
> like a WO
> Component?

If I get you right, I think I can say "Yes". Tapestry is event driven
as WO is.

> 2. Can Tapestry components be built from other Tapestry components?
> Is there
> a limit to the number of layers?

Yes, you can combine components to new components. I dont't know know if
there is any limitation to the number of layers, but I assume that
there is
none. However, it'll get confusing from a certain depths of layers ;-)

> 3. Is there a similar Request-Response loop paradigm?

Again, a "Yes". From the faq:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/faq.html

Events will trigger in the following order:
	• 	initialize()
	• 	pageBeginRender() ("rewind")
	• 	rewind of the form / setting of properties
	• 	Deferred listeners (for Submit components)
	• 	Form's listener
	• 	pageEndRender() ("rewind")
	• 	pageBeginRender() (normal)
	• 	pageEndRender() (normal)

After all, Tapestry is very much like WebObjects and if you have any
experience
with WO, your first steps with Tapestry will be quite easy. Except
that there is
no WOBuilder, but everything else is in most cases better ;-)

Christian

Re: Tapestry Components versus WebObjects Components

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
I was just talking to someone earlier today about this. He had
mentioned doing some webwork development recently as well as using
tapestry 1+2 a long time ago...Recent interactions with my employer
have made him become familiar with tapestry 4 so I'm going to be evil
and blind copy him in this response to see if he'll give any
thoughts..

jesse