Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by David Gerard <dg...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/21 23:43:47 UTC

OpenOffice on Wikipedia (was: In case you missed it: The OpenOffice Wikipedia page was FUD'ed over the holidays)

Rob Weir wrote:

>Take a look at the lovely new page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice
>Some choice bits of distortion:

Thanks for publicising this. I really did mean I wanted more eyes on it.

Useful pages in dealing with contentious topics (which is everything):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources

Cheers, looking forward to help. The talk page welcomes you!

Anyone with a good clippings file for the history of OO from 2000?
Such a history, that gets across *why* OO is as historically important
as it is, is not yet written, as far as I know. I went through the OO
clippings pages and archive.org but didn't find a lot.

- d.

Re: OpenOffice on Wikipedia (was: In case you missed it: The OpenOffice Wikipedia page was FUD'ed over the holidays)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jan 21, 2013, at 7:02 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> David Gerard wrote:
>>
>> Rob Weir wrote:
>>

>>> Take a look at the lovely new page:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice
>>> Some choice bits of distortion:
>>

>> Thanks for publicising this. I really did mean I wanted more eyes on it.
>>
>> Useful pages in dealing with contentious topics (which is everything):
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources
>>
>> Cheers, looking forward to help. The talk page welcomes you!
>>
>> Anyone with a good clippings file for the history of OO from 2000?
>> Such a history, that gets across *why* OO is as historically important
>> as it is, is not yet written, as far as I know. I went through the OO
>> clippings pages and archive.org but didn't find a lot.

We tried to preserve all the web content at www.openoffice.org.

Here are some links:

http://www.openoffice.org/editorial/
http://www.openoffice.org/about/
http://www.openoffice.org/awards/index.html
http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/testimonials.html

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Louis Suárez-Potts, PhD
Age of Peers, Inc.

Re: OpenOffice on Wikipedia (was: In case you missed it: The OpenOffice Wikipedia page was FUD'ed over the holidays)

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Rob;

Oh, but what you are missing is that Wikipedia is the 31st highest
source of referrers to our website.  #31 !!!!  Don't you see????  If
we don't maintain **absolute control** over this page, then we could
LOSE LITERALLY DOZENS OF POTENTIAL USERS !!!!   This is an existential
crisis, live or die.  It is obviously worth giving up our holidays to
defend our view of the truth,  If we're not going to go to the mat
with Gerard over the minutia of the project's history, then we might
as well just pack up and quit.  Really.  It is that important.

Not.  ;-)

Like I said before, let him find other things to play with. I've seen
this before repeatably with other obsessive types on Wikipedia.  Like
bad weather and food poisoning, it is just passing through.

-Rob

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Rob;

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM, David Gerard <dg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 January 2013 15:36, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> So this does not suggest "good faith".  In fact, it suggests a
>> profound ignorance of the project and what we've been doing, as well
>> as having an axe to grind.
>

> An opinion is not the same as a conflict of interest; I am of course
> open to persuasion.

I did not say "conflict of interest".  We were talking about "good
faith", the term that you introduced.

> As I noted, Wikipedia is a do-ocracy; I certainly don't own the page
> in any way. If your desired outcome is for the issues you perceive to
> be dealt with, I *suggest* (not require) following the pointers I've
> listed. See you on the talk page!

I suggest that bulldozing the article with hundreds of edits is a form
of asserting control, if not outright ownership.

As I said before, the prudent course is to simply wait for you to
engage in your next obsession and then let cooler heads prevail.  This
means not me, and certainly not you.

-Rob

Posted by David Gerard <dg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM, David Gerard <dg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 January 2013 15:06, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> I'm not going to do this on your timing or your terms.
>

> The other apposite Wikipedia policy page:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Assume_good_faith

So I hope you'll assume good faith with any edits you see.

I might have initially assumed good faith from you, but that was lost
when seeing your Google+ comments on Apache OpenOffice, on a post
where you talked about your edits.  (Note that I have had to edit your
comments slightly to avoid violating our policy against vulgarities on
the mailing list)

Posted by David Gerard <dg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/22/13 4:06 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM, David Gerard <dg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> Take a look at the lovely new page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice
>>> Some choice bits of distortion:
>>

>> Thanks for publicising this. I really did mean I wanted more eyes on it.
>>
>> Useful pages in dealing with contentious topics (which is everything):
>>

> I'm not going to do this on your timing or your terms.  That would be
> foolish and merely lead to edit warring.
>
> A look at the article history [1] shows that as most of us were
> enjoying conviviality with friends and family, you were spending your
> Christmas and New Year's holidays making hundreds of edits to the
> OpenOffice article.  This suggests to me a more than slightly
> obsessive nature.  So the prudent course would be to simply wait for
> you to find another axe to grind, another crusade, another target for
> your attentios.  Then, when you are immersed in some other grand
> mission, calmer heads will prevail, and I would not be surprised if
> the article were then totally rewritten.

nothing to add, if I would write something on wikipedia I would ensure
that the facts are well researched and true. Especially if I would never
have had any relation to the topic.

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.