Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2004/03/04 19:07:01 UTC

RE: Under Merlin's hood (WAS: RE: [avalon] roadmap - library crit eria )

I don't think Stephen's trying to be difficult at all.  He has particular
views about what makes a good container and is trying hard to convince
everyone else. :)

Back to the question:  Why would I like a single jar?  Well, sometimes it's
not _just_ the ability to have a single jar, sometimes it's having the
option to use something other than repository format, such as:

  * one large single jar
  * one single jar directory (/lib)
  * using an already existing classloader (perhaps from the CLASSPATH)

Why?

  * Simplicity
  * Webapps (using WEB-INF/lib)
  * Simplicity
  * Developers and users are "used" to these sort of layouts
  * Sealed jars (sometimes needed)
  * Simplicity

I certainly see it could be done and the balls as much in my court to write
a new implementation as any one else.

On a slightly different subject, I'm going to try to pull together the
various threads on roadmaps, meta, and containers and try to get us back on
track to come to a conclusion.  :)

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM