Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Geoffrey Seanor <Ge...@mufgsecurities.com> on 2021/04/14 10:08:27 UTC

Karaf 4.3.0: deploy folder scanner NPEs

Hi all,

On Karaf 4.3.0 I see the following error logged every few milliseconds:

2021-04-14T08:09:13,749 | ERROR | fileinstall-/[KARAF_HOME]/deploy | fileinstall                      | 15 - org.apache.felix.fileinstall - 3.6.8 | In main loop, we have serious trouble
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.Scanner.processFiles(Scanner.java:158) ~[!/:3.6.8]
        at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.Scanner.scan(Scanner.java:131) ~[!/:3.6.8]
        at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:311) [!/:3.6.8]

It looks like this can happen on a system that has too few file handles configured.  The Felix DirectoryWatcher then use a Scanner instead of a WatcherScanner implementation.
Scanner doesn’t have a null check for the file filter object, and the deploy fileinstall configuration (org.apache.felix.fileinstall-deploy.cfg) does not define a filter, giving the NPEs.
It looks like it should also be possible to reproduce this error by configuring the watcher property felix.fileinstall.disableNio2.

I will look into addressing this by increasing the account’s available file handles, but I was wondering if there should be additional protection in Karaf (by setting a filter) or Felix (guarding against the NPE)?

Regards,

GS

This email including any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. Unless otherwise indicated, you may not disclose or distribute this email to any other person.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please delete it and notify the sender immediately.

MUFG Bank, Ltd. (“MUFG Bank”), MUFG Securities EMEA plc ("MUS(EMEA)") and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (“MUFG Inc.”) are members of the MUFG group.

-	MUFG Bank is a limited liability stock company incorporated in Japan and registered in the Tokyo Legal Affairs Bureau (company no. 0100-01-008846). MUFG Bank’s head office is at 7-1 Marunouchi 2-Chome, Chiyoda-Ku, Tokyo 100-8388, Japan. MUFG Bank’s London branch is at Ropemaker Place, 25 Ropemaker Street, London EC2Y 9AN, and is registered as a UK establishment in the UK register of companies (registered no. BR002013).   MUFG Bank is authorised and regulated by the Japanese Financial Services Agency. MUFG Bank’s London branch is authorised by the UK Prudential Regulation Authority (“PRA”) and regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”) with limited regulation by the PRA.
-	MUS(EMEA) is a limited liability company registered in England (company no. 1698498) with its registered office at Ropemaker Place, 25 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9AJ.  MUS (EMEA) is authorised by the PRA and regulated by the FCA and PRA in the UK.
-	MUFG Inc. is a limited liability stock company incorporated in Japan and registered in the Tokyo Legal Affairs Bureau (company no. 0100-01-073486). MUFG Inc.’s head office is at 7-1 Marunouchi 2-Chome, Chiyoda-Ku, Tokyo 100-8388, Japan.  MUFG Inc.’s London office is at Ropemaker Place, 25 Ropemaker Street, London EC2Y 9AN, and is registered as a UK establishment in the UK register of companies (registered no. BR015994).

Details on how MUFG Bank, London branch and MUS (EMEA) process personal data relating to individuals associated with our clients are on the MUFG EMEA website at: https://www.mufgemea.com/governance/privacy-notice/

Unless specifically indicated, this email should not be regarded as an offer, advice, recommendation, confirmation or valuation in relation to any financial products or services and any views expressed are those of the author only. If information in this email constitutes an investment recommendation provided by MUS(EMEA) as defined in EU (MAR) Regulation 596/2014, additional disclosures are available at https://research.musi.com/MUFGSecDisclaimers.aspx. Information in this email may be subject to change without notice.  Emails cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure or error or virus-free, and members of the MUFG group accept no liability for such matters. Members of the MUFG group may record and monitor emails and disclose them where relevant in litigation or to regulators.

Re: Karaf 4.3.0: deploy folder scanner NPEs

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

It should be improved on Felix FileInstall.

It’s already planned: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-6393 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-6393>

I will move forward about that.

Regards
JB