Posted to dev@tajo.apache.org by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org> on 2014/02/25 02:19:41 UTC

[FYI] some remarkable features in hadoop 2.3.0

Hi folks,

As you already know, Hadoop 2.3.0 release. While I'm reading the changes, I
noted some new features that Tajo should consider.

Centralized cache management in HDFS
  - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-4949

Ealier, Min mentioned cached table. In offline, I discussed HDFS-4949 with
him. It may be a candidate feature for our goal.

Enable support for heterogeneous storages in HDFS - DN as a collection of
storages
 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2832

It's for different storage medias like SSD and HDD.

Add a directbuffer Decompressor API to hadoop
  - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-10047

We already use compression/decompression in text file. We also should adopt
comp/decomp to other file formats. For that, HDFS-10047 may be a nice
candidate feature to be used.

- hyunsik

Re: [FYI] some remarkable features in hadoop 2.3.0

Posted by CharSyam <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jihoon Son <ji...@apache.org>.
Thanks for sharing, Hyunsik!

Jihoon

Posted by Jinho Kim <ji...@gmail.com>.
Interesting news

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Hi Min,

Posted by Min Zhou <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by JaeHwa Jung <jh...@gruter.com>.
+1.

Thanks Hyunsik, I also agree with you.
We need to bump up hadoop to 2.3.0.

Cheers

> Hi folks,
>
> As you already know, Hadoop 2.3.0 release. While I'm reading the changes, I
> noted some new features that Tajo should consider.
>
> Centralized cache management in HDFS
>   - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-4949
>
> Ealier, Min mentioned cached table. In offline, I discussed HDFS-4949 with
> him. It may be a candidate feature for our goal.
>
> Enable support for heterogeneous storages in HDFS - DN as a collection of
> storages
>  - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2832
>
> It's for different storage medias like SSD and HDD.
>
> Add a directbuffer Decompressor API to hadoop
>   - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-10047
>
> We already use compression/decompression in text file. We also should adopt
> comp/decomp to other file formats. For that, HDFS-10047 may be a nice
> candidate feature to be used.
>
> - hyunsik

Jaehwa Jung
Bigdata Platform Team