Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <Ed...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/01/25 07:21:30 UTC

announcement: JSR 052 and JSR 053

Two Java Specification Requests have been posted today.

JSR-000053 Java Servlet 2.3 and JavaServer Pages 1.2 Specifications

http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/jsr/jsr_053_jspservlet.html

and

JSR-000052 A Standard Tag Library for JavaServer Pages

http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/jsr/jsr_052_jsptaglib.html

See http://java.sun.com/jcp for details on the JCP process.

	- eduard/o, danny & anil

Re: JSR 053

Posted by Jon Zeppieri <jo...@employease.com>.
Eduardo,

First of all, thank you for clarifying those issues I asked about in my last
message.  That was rather helpful.

I hope you didn't take my comments as a desire to "nail down the proposal" in
the JSR.  That, I wholly agree, would be counter-productive.  There would then
be no possibility of constructive criticism, of making things better.  What I
actually said in my message was that a *rough draft*, something of a starting
point, ought to be included in the JSR.

But let me qualify this.  While I personally think that a statement of goals is
a bit skimpy of a starting point, it would probably be sufficient, *provided
that the goals were discussed in some detail*.  JSR 53 seemed to say little more
than, "We want to change the specification, and here are a few things to
improve" -- without saying much of anything about the nature of the
improvements.

And, with all due respect, you are wrong about JSR 41 (Assertions).  In section
3, the JSR links to a detailed proposal
(http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/jsr/asrt_prop.html).  Now, the
JSR clearly states that this proposal is to be used as a "starting point" for
the specification.  In other words, the submitters are not trying to preclude
discussion; they are trying to give people *something to discuss*.  This, I
would argue, is the best kind of JSR.

You may have had in mind something more like JSR 51 (new IO package).  And even
that JSR claims that there is a proposal, internal to Sun, but that it is not
yet ready for public eyes.  (Not that this helps someone trying to comment on
it, at all.)

-Jon

Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart wrote:

> [...]
> > specification (or a major revision to a specification), one ought to put a rough
> > draft *of that specification* in the proposal.  Otherwise, what is really being
> > proposed?  The reader is given vague indications:
> >
> >         o Better support for localization of applications
> >         o Proper support for inclusion of JSP pages without
> >           forcing flushing of buffers
> >         o Support for application events
> >         o Improved debugging and other tool support, taking
> >           advantage of JSR-45
> >         o Improved XML support
> >         o Improved tag library support
> >         o Improved JSP authoring support
> >         o Better support for composition of components
> >         o Enabling of WebDAV and WAP requests
> >
> > For each one of these items, I want to ask:  "Yes, but *how* will this 'improved
> > support' affect the API?" or "Do you mean to introduce JSP dependencies into the
> > servlet APIs?" or "In what manner can `debugging and other tool support' be
> > *specified* at all?" or "Will these changes force even more parts of the spec.
> > to require an XML parser?"  [As a personal aside, I found the introduction of an
> > XML deployment descriptor in 2.2 to entail an extremely annoying and utterly
> > unnecessary increase in configuration complexity.]  Without more details
> > (without *any* details), how can one possibly determine whether or not the
> > proposal is sane and should be adopted?
> >
> > Read JSR 053 side-by-side with JSR 050 (which is concerned with distributed
> > real-time extensions).  Now, I have absolutely no need to write real-time
> > applications in Java, much less distributed real-time applications.  And I *do*
> > have a need to write servlets.  But JSR 050 is considerably more compelling as a
> > proposal than JSR 053; whoever wrote it clearly took it seriously.
> >
> > Similarly, JSR 014, which is concerned with generic types, goes into a fair bit
> > of detail and, at least cites the work done by GJC and PolyJ.  JSR 053 cites the
> > current specification -- which, of course, is almost certainly already familiar
> > to anyone seriously evaluating at the JSR.
> >
> > The fact is, I have an interest in the future of the servlet specification; at
> > least ninety percent of the code I write at my job sits on top of the servlet
> > APIs.  And don't get me wrong:  I'm very pleased that Sun has opened up the
> > specification process.  Otherwise, I would simply have to cross my fingers and
> > hope for the best.  But I do hope that JSR submitters take the process seriously
> > and do not submit proposals that defy evaluation.
> >
> > Ultimately, I suggest that this JSR, in its present form, not be accepted.
> >
> > -Jon Zeppieri
> >
> > Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart wrote:
> > >
> > > Two Java Specification Requests have been posted today.
> > >
> > > JSR-000053 Java Servlet 2.3 and JavaServer Pages 1.2 Specifications
> > >
> > > http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/jsr/jsr_053_jspservlet.html
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > JSR-000052 A Standard Tag Library for JavaServer Pages

Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem
                smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Re: JSR 053

Posted by Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
Hi Jon.