Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Ney, Richard" <Ri...@Aspect.com> on 2017/03/07 17:05:01 UTC

Splitting Cassandra Cluster between AWS availability zones

We’ve collapsed our 2 DC – 3 node Cassandra clusters into a single 6 node Cassandra cluster split between two AWS availability zones.

Are there any behaviors we need to take into account to ensure the Cassandra cluster stability with this configuration?

RICHARD NEY
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
UNITED STATES
richard.ney@aspect.com<ma...@aspect.com>
aspect.com<http://www.aspect.com/>

[mailSigLogo-rev.jpg]
This email (including any attachments) is proprietary to Aspect Software, Inc. and may contain information that is confidential. If you have received this message in error, please do not read, copy or forward this message. Please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and destroy any copies. You may not further disclose or distribute this email or its attachments.

Re: Splitting Cassandra Cluster between AWS availability zones

Posted by Romain Hardouin <ro...@yahoo.fr>.
Hi,
Before: 1 cluster with 2 DC. 3 nodes in each DCNow: 1 cluster with 1 DC. 6 nodes in this DC
Is it right?
If yes, depending on the RF - and assuming NetworkTopologyStrategy - I would do: - RF = 2  => 2 C* rack, one rack in each AZ - RF = 3  => 3 C* rack, one rack in each AZ
In other words, I would align C* rack and AZ.Note that AWS charges for inter AZ traffic a.k.a Regional Data Transfer.
Best,
Romain

    Le Mardi 7 mars 2017 18h36, tommaso barbugli <tb...@gmail.com> a écrit :

 Hi Richard,
It depends on the snitch and the replication strategy in use.
Here's a link to a blogpost about how we deployed C* on 3AZ
http://highscalability.com/blog/2016/8/1/how-to-setup-a-highly-available-multi-az-cassandra-cluster-o.html

Best,Tommaso

On Mar 7, 2017 18:05, "Ney, Richard" <Ri...@aspect.com> wrote:

We’ve collapsed our 2 DC – 3 node Cassandra clusters into a single 6 node Cassandra cluster split between two AWS availability zones. Are there any behaviors we need to take into account to ensure the Cassandra cluster stability with this configuration? RICHARD NEYTECHNICAL DIRECTOR, RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENTUNITED STATESrichard.ney@aspect.comaspect.com This email (including any attachments) is proprietary to Aspect Software, Inc. and may contain information that is confidential. If you have received this message in error, please do not read, copy or forward this message. Please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and destroy any copies. You may not further disclose or distribute this email or its attachments.

Re: Splitting Cassandra Cluster between AWS availability zones

Posted by tommaso barbugli <tb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

It depends on the snitch and the replication strategy in use.

Here's a link to a blogpost about how we deployed C* on 3AZ

http://highscalability.com/blog/2016/8/1/how-to-setup-a-highly-available-multi-az-cassandra-cluster-o.html

Best,
Tommaso

On Mar 7, 2017 18:05, "Ney, Richard" <Ri...@aspect.com> wrote:

We’ve collapsed our 2 DC – 3 node Cassandra clusters into a single 6 node
Cassandra cluster split between two AWS availability zones.

Are there any behaviors we need to take into account to ensure the
Cassandra cluster stability with this configuration?

*RICHARD NEY*

TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT

*UNITED STATES*

*richard.ney@aspect.com <ri...@aspect.com>*

*aspect.com <http://www.aspect.com/>*

[image: mailSigLogo-rev.jpg]

Posted by Andrey Ilinykh <ai...@gmail.com>.
I'd recommend three availability zones. In this case if you loose one AZ
you still have a quorum (assuming replication factor of 3)

Andrey