Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/04 18:21:01 UTC

[DAEMON] tabs in configure scripts

The config.sub and config.guess scripts have a mixture of tabs and spaces
for alignment.

Tabs are not standardised, so are generally deprecated in source files.

Is there any reason why the tabs should not be replaced with the relevant
number of spaces throughout?

Re: [DAEMON] tabs in configure scripts

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 04.04.2013 18:21, sebb wrote:
> The config.sub and config.guess scripts have a mixture of tabs and spaces
> for alignment.
>
> Tabs are not standardised, so are generally deprecated in source files.
>
> Is there any reason why the tabs should not be replaced with the relevant
> number of spaces throughout?

The files are usually taken from their origin:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/config.git/plain/config.guess

and from time to time updated, because newer versions of those scripts
support newer platforms. Since typically a project has no need for
custom changes to them it is best to keep them really identical to the
originals and not apply non-functional changes every time they get updated.

I checked that the files currently in that git repository also have a
mixture of space and tab indentation.

If you really want it fixed, the file headers tells us:

"Please send patches with a ChangeLog entry to config-patches@gnu.org."

In general it seems the files are distributed via automake, so that
might be the home project.

Regards,

Rainer