Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/02 13:28:28 UTC

Re: [vote] release maven-source-plugin 2.0.3

ping :-)

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
On 3/26/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 26/03/2007, at 4:45 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>
> > On 3/26/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> So, this indicates the problem with the test (and how to reproduce
> >> it) - it can't depend on running the plugin itself unless it's an
> >> integration test. The unit tests should be simplified to some
> >> quicker, unit-testing tests, and the long tests made into integration
> >> tests.
> >
> > I might help by rewriting the tests using the plugin-testing-harness.
> > (That would fit "quicker, unit-testing tests", doesn't it?)
>
> I would have thought that was what was there before - to be honest I
> haven't actually looked into the current tests (but it's on my list
> as part of a general review of how we are testing plugins before I
> started doing them for surefire).

We need to look into this. I'm sorry but before that the tests were
hardly understandable.

> > Can you specify what the "long tests" are? I have no idea what to do
> > in that area.
>
> I just noted that there are currently 2 test classes that take 20
> seconds each - IMO too long for unit tests.

Nothing to do with the actual test. The processing is slow, not the
test itself. This needs to be improved. Whatever solution is choosen
is fine by me provided that we can build use cases using standard
maven project.

Stéphane

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/26/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> > I might help by rewriting the tests using the plugin-testing-harness.
> > (That would fit "quicker, unit-testing tests", doesn't it?)
>
> I would have thought that was what was there before - to be honest I
> haven't actually looked into the current tests (but it's on my list
> as part of a general review of how we are testing plugins before I
> started doing them for surefire).

I rewrote the tests using the plugin-testing-harness. See MSOURCES-14.
Would be nice, if someone could apply the patch, so that we can
proceed to releasing the plugin quickly.

> > Can you specify what the "long tests" are? I have no idea what to do
> > in that area.
>
> I just noted that there are currently 2 test classes that take 20
> seconds each - IMO too long for unit tests.

That problem is, of course, gone, if the verifier is removed.

Jochen

--
My cats know that I am a loser who goes out for hunting every day
without ever returning as much as a single mouse. Fortunately, I've

Re: [vote] release maven-source-plugin 2.0.3

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
There's no "long" test. The idea here is to allow the developer to
writer a simple project and invoke a goal within a unit test.

Indeed, there's probably a plugin version issue here, sorry about that
(the EAR plugin for instance uses a forced settings.xml that will
download the good version before starting the test; not perfect
though).

I'd be glad to finally find an acceptable solution of this testing technique.

Thanks,
Stéphane

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 26/03/2007, at 3:38 PM, Stephane Nicoll wrote:

>> Also, shouldn't trunk be reverted to 2.0.3-SNAPSHOT and the tag
>> deleted since we've rejected the staged release?
>
> Correct. I thought Jason did it.

I've done this now.

- Brett

Re: [vote] release maven-source-plugin 2.0.3

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Ah, nice catch! Same for me.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I'm (hopefully) attaching the surefire logs to see if it gives some
hint as to what went wrong. I'm on Mac as well (as I imagine Jason
is), so not sure how we would get different results.

- Brett

Re: [vote] release maven-source-plugin 2.0.3

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
On 3/26/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Stephane?

I really like to help but it works for me (running macos, linux.
didn't tried on Windows).

> The failure seems to be r503445.

Well before that, the tests were a plain mess and I used the technique
we promoted so far.  Apparently, this technique has side effect on
some box. I never had any issue myself.

> Also, shouldn't trunk be reverted to 2.0.3-SNAPSHOT and the tag
> deleted since we've rejected the staged release?

Correct. I thought Jason did it.

Cheers,
Stéphane

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.