Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sunil Puri <su...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/16 00:57:41 UTC

SVG Conversion to Transparent GIF image

Hi,
I have gone through a lot of messages posted for conversion from svg to GIF.
Using the information from the postings.
I wrote a program this program uses the Acme.JPM.Encoders.GIFEncoder.
This program is able to convert svg into a GIF image as long as there are
only three primary colors "RED, GREEN, BLUE" also the background of the
image is not transparent.

Is it possible to produce an image, from svg, with multiple colors and
transparent background?
Is there a better GIFencoder available which supports these features.

I will appreciate if anyone can guide me into right direction.

Thanks and Regards
Sunil Puri

Re: SVG Conversion to Transparent GIF image

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Sunil Puri wrote:

> I have gone through a lot of messages posted for conversion
> from svg to GIF.

   Have you considered PNG?  There are more/better PNG
encoders than GIF - due to the recent Patent issues with GIF.

> Using the information from the postings.
> I wrote a program this program uses the Acme.JPM.Encoders.GIFEncoder.
> This program is able to convert svg into a GIF image as long as there
> are only three primary colors "RED, GREEN, BLUE" also the background of
> the image is not transparent.
>
> Is it possible to produce an image, from svg, with multiple colors and
> transparent background?

    Yes, it is definitely possible to produce such an image. :)

> Is there a better GIFencoder available which supports these
> features. I will appreciate if anyone can guide me into right
> direction.

    Batik includes support for generating an Indexed PNG
however this also ignores the Alpha channel.  The basic
problem is that SVG generates a 32bpp image (8bits
each for Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha) it is very
difficult to map this down to 256 colors (with transparency)
and it is essentially 100% orthogonal to what Batik is doing.

    You are likely to have better luck looking for tools that
will generate transparent GIF/PNG from other formats, and
using Batik to generate a full color image that the other
package uses to generate the indexed image.  One C package
I know of is PBM that does lots of stuff along these lines
you might also be able to use GIMP, or ImageMagik.