Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ali Ozgun <al...@nextengine.com> on 2003/11/21 01:04:46 UTC

[users@httpd] ThreadPerChild in winnt mdm question

-----Original Message-----
From: Ali Ozgun [mailto:ali@nextengine.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 3:33 PM
To: 'users-help@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: ThreadPerChild in winnt mdm question

hi,
I have two questions to ask.

1. We are running Apache 2.0.43 as a proxy to Tomcat/JBoss at the backend.
All services reside on a
Win2000 machine. The problem we are having is we get "connection refused"
say, 100, simultaneous requests where the TPC is set to 200. Each request
actually goes through Apache to JBoss/Tomcat and a servlet just makes these
wait for 40-60 seconds, simulating a long process.

We actually had this problem with our application and wanted to verify if it
occurs with this simple test. If we put an interval of around 100-200 ms
between requests then everything is fine.

Any ideas why we get the connection refused errors? and how to prevent it?

2. If you decrease the # of concurrent requests this problem goes away. But
then another weird thing becomes clear: It looks like, no matter what value
you set the ListenBacklog to, it is only 5. It is very consistent, say, if
you send 13 requests with a TPC = 5, The first 5 goes through, the 2nd 5
waits and rest 3 gets connection refused. Any ideas where I can change this
ListenBackLog thing. In OS or something? Or is the problem ListenBacklog?

thanks a lot for reading,
ali.