Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Glanville, Jay" <Ja...@NaturalConvergence.com> on 2004/09/22 16:31:32 UTC

can I have both HTTP and SVN protocols concurrently?

Is it possible for me to have both svnserve and apache as my servers?  I
want to use HTTP as my service protocol, but we're noticing some latency
issues, I believe due to the neon configuration problems [1].  So, for
those of our testers who are experiencing this problem, I'd like to use
the svn:// protocol.  Is there anything preventing me from having my
server supply both HTTP and svn:// requests?

Thanks

JDG

[1] See:
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=16886
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=8105
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=8092

--
Jay Glanville

Re: can I have both HTTP and SVN protocols concurrently?

Posted by Dave Neary <da...@phenix.fr>.
Glanville, Jay wrote:
> Is it possible for me to have both svnserve and apache as my servers?

Yeah, sure. You can also use file:// concurently with the others. The
access methods each go through their own transport protocol, and they
don't tie up the repository for any longer than a transaction.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary
Phenix Engineering

Re: can I have both HTTP and SVN protocols concurrently?

Posted by Mark Bohlman <mb...@tcicredit.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> Glanville, Jay wrote:
>
>> Is it possible for me to have both svnserve and apache as my servers?  I
>> want to use HTTP as my service protocol, but we're noticing some latency
>> issues, I believe due to the neon configuration problems [1].  So, for
>> those of our testers who are experiencing this problem, I'd like to use
>> the svn:// protocol.  Is there anything preventing me from having my
>> server supply both HTTP and svn:// requests?
>

> This is perfectly fine.
>
> Just make sure the the permissions and umasks are set such that any new
> files created within the repository directory by the either server are
> read-writeable by the other server.
>
> Practically, this means ensuring a umask of either 0007 or 0002 is in
> use by both servers, and having the repository group-owned by some group
> that the users that apache and svnserve processes run as are members of,
> and setting setgid bit (chmod g+s) on the db directory of the repository
> and any subdirectories.
>
> Max.

Also make sure that you shut down BOTH means of access to the repository
if using BDB and doing any type of database administration.  Not doing
so can easily cause a database problem.

-- Mark

Re: can I have both HTTP and SVN protocols concurrently?

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
jay...

as far as i can tell... you can access the repository via both
http/svnserve...

in my testing i've not seen any issues as of yet...

however, this could change!!!

-bruce